2017 vs 2018 which one should I buy km vs year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Harvey Singh

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy what you want and forget about trying to "time the market" for the best value.
Things happen! First Year Model has a stigma with some buyer. Grey is the better color IMHO.

thank you! The mileage is probably the biggest concern for me with over 60k miles on the grey

OP
OP
Harvey Singh

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few differences. later build 2018 trucks get the metal oil pan, which has proven to be less prone to leaks, and failed repairs. When a truck with the plastic pan goes in for a leak, they get a plastic replacement pan and the procedure to replace it is apparently difficult for some stealerships to implement, resulting in some failed repairs. check the ’17 oil pan for leaks.

Both trucks would be potentially susceptible to the older model cam phaser, which can suffer from the failure to properly lock at shutdown, which rattles at startup.

Repair history on both trucks would be helpful.

the 2017 has the sony sound system, ’18 has the b&o. The sony is slightly cheaper and easier to upgrade and you can upgrade it in steps, where the ’18 is pretty much an all or nothing upgrade.

Thank you for this. Definitely helps.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
'17 IIRC gets the ambient lighting options. I'd also try to see if can phasers have been done on either of us trucks as well. It'd be nice to avoid that eventual headache. For me, less mi/km on the truck would be my preference especially in CA where less milage = less road salt.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
What is the American dollar price for the trucks?

If you're torn, just offer both dealers 5k off what they are asking, and accept the one that offers. If they both offer, go for 7500 and play them off each other.

OP
OP
Harvey Singh

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the American dollar price for the trucks?

If you're torn, just offer both dealers 5k off what they are asking, and accept the one that offers. If they both offer, go for 7500 and play them off each other.

The grey one with 66,000 miles went for another 2k off bringing my end lien to be 8000$ cheaper than the 17. This is probably my best play :)