2017 vs 2018 which one should I buy km vs year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I’m new to the forum and buying my very first raptor!

raptor 1 is a 2017 802A with 45600 Miles

raptor 2 is a 2018 802A with the cheap rims and not the bead locks with 66875 miles.

Raptor 1 is 5000$ more expensive than raptor #2. But it is a year older, but also has way less miles. 2 years worth of miles. It also has some warranty left.

I’m looking to keep the raptor for 1-2 years and trade in for a newer raptor when they depreciate due to next gen. I don’t want to wait to purchase as I’m getting a great deal on these and getting out my negative equity on my trade in.

My question is , what would you buy? What is worth more in your mind for resale down the road. Mileage vs year? Should I save the 5000$ and get the newer one or should I get the older one and save myself a ton of km, get some warranty and have the raptor beadlocks.

I’m a noob when it comes to raptors, I’m buying from a dealer. I’m in Canada so it’s either 107000km vs 73000km.

Do these things depreciate harder by the year or by the km? What are your opinions?

Thank you everyone!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think they depreciate by the mileage. The resale in 1 or 2 years will be more if there is still warranty left. People want the peace of mind.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
think the 17 is the better bet at 5k more? + it does have the high end raptor bead locked rims

they’re asking 5k more. You’ll be offering an amount more favorable to you, eh ?

:)

’17 is a better financial deal, all things being equal.

OP
OP
Harvey Singh

Harvey Singh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they’re asking 5k more. You’ll be offering an amount more favorable to you, eh ?

:)

’17 is a better financial deal, all things being equal.

no that’s the negotiated deal :/

it’s a 9000$ difference , but I’m selling some things like it’s tonneau , bead locked rims and tires etc to close the gap to bring it down to 5000$ in difference.

it comes with a second aftermarket set I’ll be keeping on instead.

I’d prefer the 2018 because of the colour it’s grey, the 17 is a red. However I’m stuck

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy what you want and forget about trying to "time the market" for the best value.
Things happen! First Year Model has a stigma with some buyer. Grey is the better color IMHO.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There are a few differences. later build 2018 trucks get the metal oil pan, which has proven to be less prone to leaks, and failed repairs. When a truck with the plastic pan goes in for a leak, they get a plastic replacement pan and the procedure to replace it is apparently difficult for some stealerships to implement, resulting in some failed repairs. check the ’17 oil pan for leaks.

Both trucks would be potentially susceptible to the older model cam phaser, which can suffer from the failure to properly lock at shutdown, which rattles at startup.

Repair history on both trucks would be helpful.

the 2017 has the sony sound system, ’18 has the b&o. The sony is slightly cheaper and easier to upgrade and you can upgrade it in steps, where the ’18 is pretty much an all or nothing upgrade.