2017 F-150 Raptor - Owner first impressions and review thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 2017 F150 manual.

Thanks, that changes everything. Essentially what that says is the tune is designed for 91 but the computer will tune back power if it senses deto/lower octane. Basically, the truck calls for 91, but they wrote it in a way that makes them look better..surprise. Mercury did the same thing with the Verado outboards I have on my boat...yes they will run 87..but not at full rated power.

JDog

Reaction score
Thanks, that changes everything. Essentially what that says is the tune is designed for 91 but the computer will tune back power if it senses deto/lower octane. Basically, the truck calls for 91, but they wrote it in a way that makes them look better..surprise. Mercury did the same thing with the Verado outboards I have on my boat...yes they will run 87..but not at full rated power.

Wait, I'm on my first tank of gas. Assuming the dealer put in cheap stuff you're telling me I'll get better performance if I put in good stuff? Oh man. It's so fun as it is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theOracle13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wait is over!

My truck came last week but i have been gone and not able to post a picture. Overall I'm very impressed. I traded in my 14' Raptor that was a very nice truck, but to me this new 17' is on another level.

I kept these Method Roost wheels from my 14' since they were only a couple months old. I haven't researched what the stock offset is on the 17', but these Method wheels seem to stick out beyond the fender more than my 14'. It may not be the offset and just how the fender is. It doesn't bother me, in fact I think it looks more aggressive.

I'm happy and impressed with what I've experienced so far. My 14' had an intake, tune, and exhaust on it and this new 17' appears MUCH faster. One thing that is noticeable is the usable torque at lower rpm. Those turbos make driving fast much easier.

Yes the 14' sounded better but this new one has 100 things better than the old one. Just not the sound, and I can live with the other improvements while sacrificing sound.

Attachments

• IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 247

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, here's my initial thoughts with less that 50 miles and less than 24hrs of ownership.
Not so Good:
1. As others have said 10 speed hunts for gears and Sport mode shifts are very firm (too firm). This may improve with time as the computer learns.
2. Auto Start/Stop sucks. Has to be disabled every time you start the truck (unless you use the jumper to permanently disable it)
3. You have to use the touchscreen climate screen to turn on the heated steering wheel (should have had its own button like the heated seats)
4. You can't set the mirrors to auto fold when parked (you have to press the button every time).
5. This is just on my truck, but the steering wheel is not centered. When driving straight the wheel is cocked to the left slightly. I will be heading back to the dealer to get this fixed or my OCD will send me over the edge,
The Neutral:
1. The exhaust sound is good but not great. Don't love, but don't hate it. I never expected a V8 sound, nor do I care but it seems to have a whine at high RPMs. It also make almost no noise at idle/low RPM. An aftermarket exhaust should fix both of those.
2. The cluster display will only show Trans temp or boost, not both. When you add the boost gauge through the settings the only option is to replace the trans temp guage.
3. The cluster panel only displays vehicle settings/controls. My wifes Edge has two panels outboard of a center speedo. One side is for the vehicle and the other side is for the audio/climate/phone/nav. It was nice to be able to have that info available at a glance while driving.
4. The steering wheel controls for the audio are too minimal. Vol+/Vol-/Next/Prev/OK. That's all you get. You cant change sources or cycle through any menus with it.
The Good:
1. The acceleration is phenomenal at any speed.
2. The ride quality is luxury smooth.
3. The technology is impressive.
4. The LED mirror spots are impressive. They offer a nice bright light that really covers a big area.

Overall, I love this truck. I would recommend it to anyone. While it's not perfect, there isn't anything that is a deal breaker.

I was surprised by the size. Coming from a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with a 3" lift on 315/70r17s, I expected the size to be almost the same.
The Raptor is 4" shorter height than my Silverado. Didn't expect that
The Raptor is 5" wider (at the outside of tires) than my Silverado. I expected it to be wider, but not that much.
The Raptor is 6" shorter length than my Silverado. I expected it to be shorter than that since the Silverado has a 6.5' bed.

Overall, she's definitely a keeper.

Last edited:

cpetes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw my first 17 on the road today and it looked great! it certainly has the size advantage over other stock pick up trucks on the road. This was a white one with no graphics which I thought makes it look a lot tougher than the phony ones they decided to go with for the Gen2.

Unfortunately, the owner must have not known about the original Raptor... Gave a nice thumbs up and he looked at me like I was a complete idiot - oh well I guess he didn't have his morning coffee yet. Overall, the exterior of the truck looks phenomenal and I cant wait to see more on the streets.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

don't think any manufacturer would ever tune for 91. i'm sure it's tuned for 93 but supports lower octanes (with progressively decreased performance).

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Score!

i picked up my black 2017 Raptor last night. 802A with most of the options.
Pics later.

impressions

1) LOTS of tech, way more than I’ve purchased on previous vehicles. Button overload for sure. Although I like having all the tech, it will take a bunch of getting used to. Generally, I don’t like stuff distracting me from driving. I don’t drive and yak on the cell, but they offered to pair my phone and I accepted. I can use Siri more effectively than in the previous aftermarket unit. Lane keeping was all over me ... I like to color outside the lines sometimes. Plenty of options to mess with.

2) Power is effin’ awesome. It’s everywhere. They have done serious work and testing. Turbo lag? what is that? You have enough power to spin in 4A if you want it. On pavement. if you’re rolling and get into it, it’s literally like have a big @$$ V8, but for the sound.

3) Who elfin’ cares about the sound? it’s freakin fast. Not fast for a truck, fast.
4) Trans hunting for an upshift. Um... yeah, because I stuck it into manual, one click past drive. My bad. I thought the trans did admirably at predicting my somewhat aggressive / defensive driving.

5) Ride quality is great. My barrio has ’traffic enraging speed bumps’. I no longer have to slow for them :biggrin: bumps are absorbed well, and the suspension feels well sorted. cabin noise is minimal. Not quite Lincoln Town car quiet, but quite good.

6) I am having trouble with the radio; figuring it out, etc. I’m sure it will get better, but after heading out I had to let the CFO figure out the tunes. Challenging to navigate. Only downside so far. stereo has enough power to impair your hearing with sustained use. Bass is responsive and good. It’s not ‘vibrate the whole truck loose’ like 500w subs, but it’s balanced and makes enough clean music up top to be satisfying.

7) CFO spent a bunch of dealer time on Facebook, pretty much killing the iPhone batter. we plugged her into the truck and I stupidly accepted sync, which completely punked my navigation and it seemed impossible to get out of until I got frustrated and yanked out the damn phone. I eventually got the route back, plugged the phone in and declined the sync settings. much better.

8) This thing is PONDEROUS. Limits are easy to find if you come from a car. I generally put equal or more miles on 2 wheels, but my previous car was a turbo outback. It actually stuck pretty good. by way of comparison, the Raptor is quicker than the 250 horse OBXT to 60 easily, but the Raptor is not equipped to knife through corners. If you come from another truck, probably not an issue but this thing ain’t no sports car. steering is a little on the vague side, but you’ll hear the tires howling if you’re moving through a turn too brisk.

8a) people whining about the exhaust note: try driving a subaru flat 4 for a few years, you will love the ecoboost sound after that.

9) the cameras are cool for sure and parking this behemoth is much easier. it will take a while to learn to trust the cameras for me.

I did a walk around, crawl under, and gave the truck a good going over. the roof will need some polishing but otherwise the prep looked really good. Underneath, some surface rust in some places of exposed metal - front shafts but the diff looked dirty - as in mud, but not wearing any fluid. Front of the pumpkin also dry.

I ran in regular and sport mode, 2 and 4a. No appreciable NVH increase in 4A. You can tell it’s there, but otherwise, it just runs good.
I got on it and I don’t just me an a little goosing the gas; I had it sideways twice on the test drive before going into 4A :flipthebird: the power’s addictive, what can I say. No shift hunting, pausing before shifting, etc.

Whatever the sticker mpg estimates are, I’m probably well off if I get half that. Did I mention the power is addictive ?

Pics later.

pottkotj

Reaction score
I'm about 100 miles and 24 hours into my 17 Raptor. I'm coming from a 2013 Raptor. My brief experience has been mostly highway, and some downtown streets in Nashville.

- The truck is awesome | Build Info
- The ride is better than the 2013, and I thought the 2013 was great.
- The blindspot feature is great, and needed. The convex mirror is gone and I miss it dearly. I'm really disappointed that the convex mirror is gone.
- The Apple CarPlay is nice. However, when listening to Sirius and Waze gives an audio alert, the whole system switches over to CarPlay. I hope there is a setting that I have missed. It's very frustrating.
- There has been a lot of positive things mentioned in this thread that I agree with, so please do not take my overall opinion of the truck as negative. I'm just trying not to repeat many wonderful comments that have already been shared.
- I am very happy with white color choice. It looks white in all lighting conditions.
- The hood graphics are ok. I could take or leave them.
- As mentioned, the heated steering wheel does not have a physical switch. That sucks.
- The headlights have gotten some bad reviews. They seem fine to me.
- It does have a great new car smell. I had read that others did not feel that theirs had it.
- The auto start/stop is stupid, and I am giving it a chance to see if I can grow into it. I may give it one more day.
- The engine (driving experience and sound) -- It's different. I'm working to fall in love with it. Still in break-in miles. Not sure what we have accomplished by displacing the V8. 1-2 MPG improvement isn't going to be worth it to me. I have not had a chance to truly appreciate the V6.
- Last, but not least, it's going to service tomorrow. I'm getting powertrain errors, Lane Keeping Sys, and Steering Assist Fault. The errors showed up at about 120 miles. Truck had 39 miles on it when I got it. If this turns into a real issue, I'll start a new thread with photos, details, etc.

JDog

Reaction score
I'm about 100 miles and 24 hours into my 17 Raptor. I'm coming from a 2013 Raptor. My brief experience has been mostly highway, and some downtown streets in Nashville.

- The truck is awesome | Build Info

- The ride is better than the 2013, and I thought the 2013 was great.

- The blindspot feature is great, and needed. The convex mirror is gone and I miss it dearly. I'm really disappointed that the convex mirror is gone.

- The Apple CarPlay is nice. However, when listening to Sirius and Waze gives an audio alert, the whole system switches over to CarPlay. I hope there is a setting that I have missed. It's very frustrating.

- There has been a lot of positive things mentioned in this thread that I agree with, so please do not take my overall opinion of the truck as negative. I'm just trying not to repeat many wonderful comments that have already been shared.

- I am very happy with white color choice. It looks white in all lighting conditions.

- The hood graphics are ok. I could take or leave them.

- As mentioned, the heated steering wheel does not have a physical switch. That sucks.

- The headlights have gotten some bad reviews. They seem fine to me.

- It does have a great new car smell. I had read that others did not feel that theirs had it.

- The auto start/stop is stupid, and I am giving it a chance to see if I can grow into it. I may give it one more day.

- The engine (driving experience and sound) -- It's different. I'm working to fall in love with it. Still in break-in miles. Not sure what we have accomplished by displacing the V8. 1-2 MPG improvement isn't going to be worth it to me. I have not had a chance to truly appreciate the V6.

- Last, but not least, it's going to service tomorrow. I'm getting powertrain errors, Lane Keeping Sys, and Steering Assist Fault. The errors showed up at about 120 miles. Truck had 39 miles on it when I got it. If this turns into a real issue, I'll start a new thread with photos, details, etc.

Can you get waze to show up with car play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk