2017 F-150 Raptor - Owner first impressions and review thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This has been covered in numerous other threads. Running 9X octane will increase performance.

Believe what you want, it matters not to me.

Nordic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No love for Shadow Black + Graphics? ;)

IMG_9577_zpsfa4ttsnt.jpg

Not sure if they would good on any of the other colors but it definitely looks good on black. To your "long weekend" comment on another thread, your lucky I only have weekends that are too short.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been covered in numerous other threads. Running 9X octane will increase performance.

Believe what you want, it matters not to me.
Curious if you have some links explaining what you mean? Not arguing but normally if the engine is tuned for 87 there will be no additional benefit to running a higher octane unless the engine is tuned for a higher octane and simply runs at the lower power if there is detonation/lower octane detected.Typically in those cases though the engine calls for a higher octane but will say it's okay to run lower. Octane is simply antiknock index..the level at which an engine can run sihout knocking/detonation..there is no more power or cooler temps to be had by running higher than a tune specifies..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Darin and Paw. Still not sure why that makes the spare a limited use.
More just curiosity than anything else.

Pretty sure it's because the TPMS is a government safety mandated system. So you're not supposed to be running the truck without it. I'm sure that's why they say it's limited use.

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

You are correct, Darin. It says in the manual, the only difference on the spare tire is that it's sans the sensor.

Would have been nice if they had the sensor in the tire and the dash was capable of displaying the pressure like it does for the other tires. Plus for anyone that wanted to rotate that tire in use with the other tires there's no TPS so they either have to get one put in or the light wills stay on all the time. That was a dumb move on Fords part for the minimal money that saved them.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious if you have some links explaining what you mean? Not arguing but normally if the engine is tuned for 87 there will be no additional benefit to running a higher octane unless the engine is tuned for a higher octane and simply runs at the lower power if there is detonation/lower octane detected.Typically in those cases though the engine calls for a higher octane but will say it's okay to run lower. Octane is simply antiknock index..the level at which an engine can run sihout knocking/detonation..there is no more power or cooler temps to be had by running higher than a tune specifies..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

From the 2017 F150 manual.

Your vehicle is designed to operate on
regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or
regular unleaded gasoline blended with a
maximum of 85% ethanol (E85).
Some fuel stations, particularly those in
high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as
regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating below 87. We do not recommend
these fuels.

For best overall vehicle and engine
performance, premium fuel with an octane
rating of 91 or higher is recommended.
The
performance gained by using premium fuel
is most noticeable in hot weather as well
as other conditions, for example when
towing a trailer. See Towing (page 256).

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are good for e85 from the factory? wow... performance shops/tuners are going to have a field day with this truck.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked through the service supplement for the Raptor and couldn't find anything on fuel other than 87 Octane.

Can someone that already has their Raptor open the fuel cap door and see what it says on the inside about E85.

Scrappy Doo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked through the service supplement for the Raptor and couldn't find anything on fuel other than 87 Octane.

Can someone that already has their Raptor open the fuel cap door and see what it says on the inside about E85.

The fill cap/neck is black and says gasoline/E10/E15

My '15 f150 5.0 had a yellow cap and said those plus E85.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc