2017 F-150 Raptor - Owner first impressions and review thread!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been in f-150 since minimum 2006. I always have to do this because my dog rides shotgun and he weighs enough to trip the sensor
It was in my manual as well as the explorer I had for a short time too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a seatbelt for my rott, for the safety of your dog and self/family you may want to consider one.
I can agree with virtually everything you have said. I didn't have a previous version so I will stay away from all that.
The one thing I completely disagree with is the start/stop thing. It is the most annoying thing I have ever felt or experienced. I think it borders on dangerous. Shutting off a vehicle and also locking the steering column when stopped in traffic!?!?
Idiotic.

Otherwise great review :)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OCMDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Those that have taking delivery of their Gen2s, have you noticed your moonroof leaking? Have you noticed any rattles from the moonroof?

No, not at all...

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not at all...

Gotcha

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Those that have taking delivery of their Gen2s, have you noticed your moonroof leaking? Have you noticed any rattles from the moonroof?

No leaking or rattles so far and I hope that remains the case 4ever...

GaryBacon

Reaction score
Does anyone have interior pics of CF with the colour accent package?

That's what I have ordered curious to see what the combo looks like.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^This is amazing. I have never heard of this procedure being in the manual. Too awesome. My wife bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee that has the auto start. She is super jealous the Raptor has the overide function. Now she will be even more jealous about being able to disable the seatbelt chime.

For those of you that don't want to remove the chime for safety reason but sometimes have your dog or a load in the front seat that is heavy enough to set the chime off. You can use one of these.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/chimex/

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year G2 brothas and sistas! Here's my initial impressions thus far:

Specs:
Shadow Black SCREW, 802A, loaded with exception of tonneau, ash tray, and accent package. Has CF, Beadlocks, graphics, moonroof, bed divider, bed extender, spray-in liner, etc. Has 270+ miles on it now. It was delivered with 80 miles on it.

Exterior:
Very aggressive stance like the Gen1. I still think the Gen1 pushed the envelope a bit more in design in comparison to it's base model F150 of that generation but the Gen2 doesn't disappoint in this regard. In terms of sheer size, mass, stance, and that pure Raptor look -- it nails it. I personally like the graphics especially on Shadow Black and the darker colors. I do not think pictures do the graphics justice. I would have NOT gotten the graphics with any other color combination with the exception of Lightening Blue or Metallic Gray. I like the graphics to be a bit more subdued and inline with the color scheme verses popping out in contrast - just my personal taste.

Sound:
Startup is throaty (not V8 throaty) but for a V6, it has a quiet rumble from the outside. I’m simply comparing it to my wife's 2015 XSport that has the older EcoBoost V6. From the inside, I feel the cabin really dampens the exhaust note. If the enhanced exhaust note is coming into the speakers, I don’t even notice it or it is barely audible to me. When I go into sport mode and get the RPM's up, do I hear the rumble. The enhanced exhaust note doesn’t bother me at all.

Ride:
Very smooth. For a truck designed to take a beating off-road, I'm so stoked on how great it rides on the pavement. I haven't owned a Platinum or any other premium F150 so i don't have a comparison but very pleased on how smooth it handles on pavement. She definitely likes to get to the higher gears fast in normal mode which is to be expected for gas consumption. You can feel the weight and size around tighter corners but it is fun in sport mode to put it in manual and shift through. The torque and handling is impressive for a truck this large and the engine wakes up as you get into the higher RPMs. Super fun to use the paddle shifters in Manual mode. I never was really interested in other cars with paddle shifters but with this truck, I find myself using them more especially on the windier back roads.

Cockpit:
Impressive interior. My wife’s 2015 XSport is very nice as well but the bolstered seats and all the technology in this Gen2 Raptor really make it stand out. It seems everything is adjustable in this truck which I assume comes with the tech package or platinum/king ranch. Love the new Sync3. So much more responsive than Sync2 but not as advanced as my previous 2014 BMW 535i. I have the CF package as well and do love the look. The additional cup holders definitely will help with the spills from my wife and kids who also enjoy bringing open bottles and cups into our vehicles (grrrr!). The dual panel moonroof is huge. I hardly ever use them in our previous vehicles but my kids/wife love it so that made the decision for me. The rubber floor mats are also nice. I don’t see a reason to upgrade them to Weathertech as they are a little “cupped’ like the Weathertechs but not as much. They will be fine for my use. I am curious to see how the Husky storage units fit under the seat with the rubber mats there. There is a lip on the edge of the mats that I would think would prevent the storage unit from sitting flush — thoughts or experience on this?

Technology:
Don’t know where to start here. It’s got a lot of it. Read the manual and learn how to take advantage of it all. Try not to get distracted while driving as it’s easy to when you’ve got so many options. I prefer the iDrive system in the BMW for that reason as reaching for touch screens is very distracting but the voice commands seem to hedge that risk a little better now.

Tires/Wheels:
The black-out wheels really make the truck look aggressive. I highly doubt I’ll ever beadlock them myself as I mainly do soft sand driving for surf fishing and I’ve read that many Raptor owners don’t air down their tires for normal beach driving… that surprised me a little.

Accessories:
Ordered Pace Edwards Ultra Groove tonneau with Thule rack system and factory bed mat for cushion over spray-in liner. Need the rack for surfboards, SUPs, bikes, etc. Also ordered Stubby Antenna. On the fence for mud guards, rear seat husky storage box, and car cover (truck will be a driveway queen). Transferring my V1 over as well with a permanent mount and hard wire solution (eventually).

Be safe out there brothas and sistas!

IMG_9572_zpszmbqa2tn.jpg
IMG_9577_zpsfa4ttsnt.jpg
0Shot%202016-12-15%20at%209.45.47%20AM_zpsmpyrnkpx.png

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new truck and thanks for the great write up.

I'm also considering mud flaps. I'm considering the large flat rigid black plastic ones on ebay. They say Raptor on the bottom which you can get in several different colors.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the new truck and thanks for the great write up.

I'm also considering mud flaps. I'm considering the large flat rigid black plastic ones on ebay. They say Raptor on the bottom which you can get in several different colors.

Darin-- thanks! Are they the PDP mud guards? Gotta link? Still not sure if I want them on the truck or not... first-world problems, haha!

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc