2014 Roush Raptor Serpentine break @ 3Kmi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattyboy86

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice here. I went to the grocery store to pick up a pregnancy test for my wife :baby: (not prego whew..) and while merging on the highway I snapped my serpentine belt. I had the tunes going and the wind in my hair so I paid little attention as I was soaking in the awesomeness of my new ride. While pulling off the highway is where I noticed I had no power steering, my temp gauge was just under the red and the battery light was on. All in all the travel was three miles.

I pulled into my driveway quickly as I'm just off the exit, turned my truck off, popped the hood, and noticed my coolant had purged a bit which was spit on the driveway (I lost minimal coolant). I know serpentine belts break but at 3K miles? Thats some bull, I saw another thread where Roush offered the dude something called a kick plate to avoid this problem. Anyway, my major concern is the engine heat. If my engine were overheating would it also give me an indicator light as so and would the coolant system purge an abundance of fluid? No lights other than the battery light came on. Since its under factory warranty I imagine the tow/replacement will be covered. Any insights ya'll can glean would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

-Matt

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You would have had an overheat light come on if it had gotten hot enough.

Also I would keep a spare belt in the truck with a SC that has a belt that drives the water pump and alt off the same belt as the SC pulley.

OP
OP
Mattyboy86

Mattyboy86

Reaction score
Yea I figured I would have seen an overheat light. I honestly think its a poor design, it would have been more prudent for them to have designed the system with two belts rather than one. I'm gonna call Roush about the kick plate (its really a stabilizer that helps the belt stay in place should the SC overspin the serpentine). You think my driving habits are to blame? I do like to mash on it from time to time, but I thought thats what this thing is designed for. Maybe I need to find a belt that can withstand the abuse a bit more and you're right a spare is in order so I don't get stranded in the boonies.