2013 Raptors with Pop N Lock Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dv8tor

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im in trouble. Someone please get me a wire diagram ASAP please! The wires are not the correct ones for the actuator.

OP
OP
Dv8tor

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I finally got it done. I bet you that the pyramids of Egypt got built faster than what it took me to do this job. Then I look at the box and it says, "Install in minutes!" . Ya right. So what I ended up doing was kept my wire fed through the drivers firewall wire boot. Tapped into the grey and brown wire and tapped into the blue and green wire. At first, didn't work. I freaked out that I just ruined my truck with some piece of afromarket crap. Messaged Busa, got back to me pretty quick. Well, come to find out there's 2 grey with brown wires!! Kiss my ass. What a joke. Tapped into the other grey/ brown wire, it started working. But I noticed that it was unlocking on the first hit. I wanted it to unlock on the second hit. So, I called and bothered Busa again, tells me to look for the purple with grey wire. Boom! Ford blows me away again! There's 4 purple with grey wires! WTF?!?! Called and bugged Busa again. Tells me to tap into the wire going directly into the drivers rear door. I popped the B pillar out a lil bit, start hunting down wire going into the door, I gave up. Then I started thinking, well I'm the only ******* having issues running these wires on the drivers side, everyone else seems to have ran the wires on the passenger side and are not having issues. I said F it and popped the passenger door sill off along with the kick panel. Found a Purple and grey wire there. Just for ***** and giggles, I popped the passenger door panel off, to see what color wire goes to the powered door latch. Purple and grey was there again. Put the door panel back on, tapped into the purple and grey and ran a test wire to the lonely wire on the drivers side to make sure it works, Sho' 'nuff. It worked. Now. Going back to the tailgate to make sure all that's supposed to happen is happening. The actuator was barely moving. At this point a felt like punching a baby I was so frustrated. Take the actuator off the original mechanical operation to study how it all works. It's quite interesting. Not as complex, but to me, I like seeing how stuff works. Well as my video will show if I can figure out how to post it, here's a plastic triangle piece that moves like a pendulum that engages and disengages the handle. Simple enough. But there's another piece to the triangle that's inside the triangle that has a "bump" on it the has to ride up this little metal piece that's bent up. It keeps the triangle from "falling" would my way of describing it. When the bump goes on one side of the bent up piece, it engages the handle. The other side disengages. But what I noticed was how much deflection the bump made trying to crest the bent up metal piece. It was kinda hard to move it. So, I got a lil ol' school and got a hammer and smacked the metal piece down a lil bit. What a difference. So I put it back together, it's moving but still having a difficult time. I noticed the spring that I'm assuming helps the actuator from over extending, is kinda limiting the actuator. Popped the spring off, boom, it's working like it should. Well I'm not going to leave the spring off to make a rattling noise or something so I took it apart again. Put the spring back on. Hit the button. Works fine. I don't get it. So before I put her all back together again, I put some of my grease that I use for greasing up the moving parts on our wreckers. It was messy but I figured that it couldn't hurt. Got it all buttoned up again. Worked like a charm. After all the frustration and wanting to go ape shit on somebody, I come to the conclusion that it really is a sweet mod. My friends make fun of me because I say that a lot. I'll usually say its either. Sweet mod or a bad mod. This is definitely a Sweet mod. Thank you Busa for everything and tolerating my numerous phone calls. I sure as heck am glad that its done. Was a beautiful day to ride and I definitely wish I was doing so. Tomorrow I'm thinking about shutting my phone off. I'm going riding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 68

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, im glad it all worked out for you. i didnt hear from you when i got home. i was thinking about checking in on you, but i thought it was too late given the time difference. apparently not. haha. let me know if you have any more issues. im happy to help.

ScandinavianFlick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Did you ever get that video up. The key moves freely in lock with actuator disconnected. Actuator moved full range when not bolted in. Looking at the pic in the install thread I don't see the triangle part you refer to (unless you mean the black triangle like piece that is part of the lock mechanism?)

Sounds like you just lubed it up and it worked? Could you point to the areas that you hit and I'll try some white lithium grease or some MolyB. Thanks.

BTW I also have an XB12R ;)

One difference in my setup though is that I have a Jimmy Jammer installed underneath the Pop'n'lock.

Well, I finally got it done. I bet you that the pyramids of Egypt got built faster than what it took me to do this job. Then I look at the box and it says, "Install in minutes!" . Ya right. So what I ended up doing was kept my wire fed through the drivers firewall wire boot. Tapped into the grey and brown wire and tapped into the blue and green wire. At first, didn't work. I freaked out that I just ruined my truck with some piece of afromarket crap. Messaged Busa, got back to me pretty quick. Well, come to find out there's 2 grey with brown wires!! Kiss my ass. What a joke. Tapped into the other grey/ brown wire, it started working. But I noticed that it was unlocking on the first hit. I wanted it to unlock on the second hit. So, I called and bothered Busa again, tells me to look for the purple with grey wire. Boom! Ford blows me away again! There's 4 purple with grey wires! WTF?!?! Called and bugged Busa again. Tells me to tap into the wire going directly into the drivers rear door. I popped the B pillar out a lil bit, start hunting down wire going into the door, I gave up. Then I started thinking, well I'm the only ******* having issues running these wires on the drivers side, everyone else seems to have ran the wires on the passenger side and are not having issues. I said F it and popped the passenger door sill off along with the kick panel. Found a Purple and grey wire there. Just for ***** and giggles, I popped the passenger door panel off, to see what color wire goes to the powered door latch. Purple and grey was there again. Put the door panel back on, tapped into the purple and grey and ran a test wire to the lonely wire on the drivers side to make sure it works, Sho' 'nuff. It worked. Now. Going back to the tailgate to make sure all that's supposed to happen is happening. The actuator was barely moving. At this point a felt like punching a baby I was so frustrated. Take the actuator off the original mechanical operation to study how it all works. It's quite interesting. Not as complex, but to me, I like seeing how stuff works. Well as my video will show if I can figure out how to post it, here's a plastic triangle piece that moves like a pendulum that engages and disengages the handle. Simple enough. But there's another piece to the triangle that's inside the triangle that has a "bump" on it the has to ride up this little metal piece that's bent up. It keeps the triangle from "falling" would my way of describing it. When the bump goes on one side of the bent up piece, it engages the handle. The other side disengages. But what I noticed was how much deflection the bump made trying to crest the bent up metal piece. It was kinda hard to move it. So, I got a lil ol' school and got a hammer and smacked the metal piece down a lil bit. What a difference. So I put it back together, it's moving but still having a difficult time. I noticed the spring that I'm assuming helps the actuator from over extending, is kinda limiting the actuator. Popped the spring off, boom, it's working like it should. Well I'm not going to leave the spring off to make a rattling noise or something so I took it apart again. Put the spring back on. Hit the button. Works fine. I don't get it. So before I put her all back together again, I put some of my grease that I use for greasing up the moving parts on our wreckers. It was messy but I figured that it couldn't hurt. Got it all buttoned up again. Worked like a charm. After all the frustration and wanting to go ape shit on somebody, I come to the conclusion that it really is a sweet mod. My friends make fun of me because I say that a lot. I'll usually say its either. Sweet mod or a bad mod. This is definitely a Sweet mod. Thank you Busa for everything and tolerating my numerous phone calls. I sure as heck am glad that its done. Was a beautiful day to ride and I definitely wish I was doing so. Tomorrow I'm thinking about shutting my phone off. I'm going riding.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got this installed this weekend along with the jimmi jammer. Thanks to Orangeaddict for the help.

I also got rid of the spring. Seemed to be too strong and wouldn't let the actuator move the full length. Worked better once removed and a bit of manual adjustment.

Thanks for the write up and information.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com