2012 sill protector - thinking outside the box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the way to work this morning I had an idea to protect the door sill area.. Instead of buying and trimming existing door sill protectors, or grip tape...

I thought just plastidip it the area and be done.. Then when getting out of my truck, I saw some sand on the ground. That's it, add some fine sand in between coats of plastidip. It would give a textured look of running boards, non slip surface, and it peels off if I don't like it.

See that I have both a can and spray can of the stuff laying around. I could spray a layer, sprinkle sand while it is wet and repeat. Or add sand to the liquid plastidip, stir well and then apply it to the door sills.

Not sure which method would work best. Premixing the sand to the plastidip would give a more even distrubution of sand throughout. But the application with brush/roller would be more of a pain. Verses layering the sand with spray plastidip is easier application, but potential uneven distrubtion of sand.

Hmm.. Is it 3:30pm yet? I want to go to my lab/garage and experiment already...

-Greg

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That's pretty genius really. Can't wait to see the results of the experiment.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the sprinkle and spray method would work the best, but... thats what you got a lab for haha

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, sir.... I am finishing up eyesore one the front (skid plate and silver part on bumper). They running to get silica sand from home depot and start experimenting..

-Greg

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Front eye sore gone!!! i will post these and then I am off to the store...

DSCF1404.jpg
DSCF1403.jpg
DSCF1402.jpg
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w513/Greg_McManus/DSCF1401.jpg[/IMG

before picture just to compare...

[ATTACH=full]192040[/ATTACH]

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Badass! I am really surprised at how much better it looks with the skid blacked out. It's a huge difference.

OP
OP
Squatting Dog

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got back and have all the stuff... doing a little googling I found out that this process has been done before... The guys on Silencer Talk and Modern Rifle forum apply this method the the MIAD/MOE grips of their guns and bottoms of their magazines.. Here is a picture of one of their Jane black MOE grip...

2i03hgw.jpg

looks like I am heading in the right direction... I am going to wash and clean the door sills tomorrow afterwork and jump right in with both feet.. Screw it what is the worst that can happen???