2012 Ecoboost Raptor is it going to happen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuPanda

Reaction score
I don't think the current 3.5 eco boost will happen in a Raptor, outside of a law by the federal government outlawing engines over a certain displacement (currently under study by our own lovely Barbara Boxer). Why?
1) Desert/heat is not a good match for turbo/heat
2) The whole "in between the 5.4 and 6.2 argument" is flawed in that the Raptor only got the 5.4 to rush it to market. The 6.2 was the intended engine for the truck and in my mind would only be replaced by another naturally aspirated V8 with more torque and horsepower.
3) My guess is the long term reliability/durability of the 6.2 far exceeds that of the current eco boost lineup.
4) More engine choices = more cost....economy stinks and is not getting better, so the bottom line is cost.

Having said that, I'd love to see as many optional engines in all ford products across the board. I like the idea of choices....I just don't think it will happen.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a coworker bragging about his new vehicle that gets 8MPG better than his previous 2 year old vehicle. Because his new vehicle was much less MSRP, good trade in value, and lower interest rates, his payment stayed the same.. So in his mind, he lowered his monthly costs from the better MPG of the new vehicle..

Nevermind that 3 years from now his old vehicle would have been paid off.. So 24 months @ $525/mo = $12600... His MPG savings over that time will be $3600..

One thing about numbers is that you can make them say whatever you want them to. So much depends on the price of gas and the number of miles you drive and how long you plan to keep the vehicle, maintenance and repair costs, and future value... had he kept the original vehicle 5 more years what would the 7 year old vehicle be worth compared to his newer, more fuel efficient one that is now only 5 years old? Would that 7 year old vehicle be up in miles far enough to be getting into some serious repair costs?

You have to look at the whole picture and that picture is different for everyone. Rarely is a vehicle a "good investment" or does trading to a newer model with better efficiency actually save money. But it certainly can, especially if you put a lot of miles on a vehicle every year.

Ubermoose

Reaction score
It's seems that all this debating the economic value in trading in one vehicle for a newer more efficient one is a moot point.
The simple reason Ford should put the Ecoboost in the Raptor is that there is a market for it.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$100 fill up this summer? I've been seeing $106-$111 fillups since I bought the truck on Feb 11.

I'm not looking forward to $150 fillups though, and thats whats coming.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided I'm not getting a Raptor unless the EcoBoost is put in it. I've estimated I would save about 100/month over the 6.2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc