17.4 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne have you watched born in baja yet?

On the ecoboost, when your in boost, say about 14.7psi, you have turned that little 3.5 into a 7.0 liter. So the ecoboost can consume the fuel as well as conserve it out of boost. Basically what I’m trying to say is there is some truth being said in this forum as well as some partial truths

I know I could easily look this up, but how does the EPA develop the mpg estimate? Flat ground at sea level, a mix, etc?
I must admit, I have not. On my to do list. And yes, it’s certainly true that a specific amount fuel is required to produce a given power output. The 3.5 EB has the advantage of dual fuel systems and wideband O2 sensors, so A/F can be controlled much more precisely, as opposed to older engines that run overly rich under heavy throttle.

Here’s some info on fuel economy calculations:

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I must admit, I have not. On my to do list. And yes, it’s certainly true that a specific amount fuel is required to produce a given power output. The 3.5 EB has the advantage of dual fuel systems and wideband O2 sensors, so A/F can be controlled much more precisely, as opposed to older engines that run overly rich under heavy throttle.

Here’s some info on fuel economy calculations:

I’ll check that link out shortly. I know where we live, you can normally expect 85%-90% of what EPA quotes, assumed that was due to all the hills we have.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 1’s we’re rated 11/14 from the factory, and that was on the older, less stringent EPA cycle. There’s no way you’re not only meeting that in the real world, but exceedingly it by 2MPG. The Average MPG display in Gen 1’s is far from accurate.

Turbo boost is not a “penalty”, it’s more efficient to keep the engine at lower RPM and provide a positive air charge than downshift and increase RPM. At normal highway speeds on level ground Gen 2’s aren’t in boost.
I got 18.8 on my Gen 1 traveling from OC Maryland to CT with cruise control set a 72. Didn't get any traffic though on a 6 hr trip

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 18.8 on my Gen 1 traveling from OC Maryland to CT with cruise control set a 72. Didn't get any traffic though on a 6 hr trip

I got money once under my pillow when my tooth fell out, but I learned later in life that it was a complete fabrication and absolute ********… much like this post.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got money once under my pillow when my tooth fell out, but I learned later in life that it was a complete fabrication and absolute ********… much like this post.
Wrong D....bag. why would make that up. That was the best I ever got but doable. There were times I was going like 55 but never had any stop and go traffic. I average 14. 8 going back and forth ti work.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And there are times I would get 17 on back roads going to a MX Trac. But when I play it drops to 11 maybe 12

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s not even remotely possible. Next time, try lying to a group of people who don’t know better. You might get someone gullible and ignorant enough to believe your nonsense.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not even remotely possible. Next time, try lying to a group of people who don’t know better. You might get someone gullible and ignorant enough to believe your nonsense.
I did it. Its possible. Like I said earlier. There were times u was going like 55 but never had any stop and go traffic. You dint know everything.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wrong D....bag. why would make that up. That was the best I ever got but doable. There were times I was going like 55 but never had any stop and go traffic. I average 14. 8 going back and forth ti work.
Because you want to believe your antiquated Gen 1 is better than the new trucks. So you make things up to compensate for your own insecurity and jealousy. Go look in the mirror before calling anyone a “D bag”; you’ll see one staring right back at you.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because you want to believe your antiquated Gen 1 is better than the new trucks. So you make things up to compensate for your own insecurity and jealousy. Go look in the mirror before calling anyone a “D bag”; you’ll see one staring right back at you.
Never said mine is better than others. I like em all.