1000lbs over max payload capacity - should I be concerned?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
So...long story short...I ended up driving around 40 miles this morning with ~2,300lbs of salt bags in the bed of my truck not realizing that I was a WHOPPING 1,000 lbs over my max payload capacity (based on google saying ~1200 average payload capacity)!

Only have ~1100 miles on the truck, but now I'm concerned that I might have done some damage to the truck. Shock's aren't leaking, but I can't seem to get the mental image of how low my tailgate was sagged relative to "normalcy".

Am I simply being paranoid here or is there cause for concern? Also, how does it appear the XLT has a much higher payload capacity range (1700-2300) lbs vs the Raptor?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, if you thought it was 1200 lbs payload capacity per Google, why'd you stick nearly double that in there?

Your truck is fine, it has bump stops to prevent over travel of the suspension. The shocks carry no weight, they just damp motion of the suspension parts.

Non Raptors can carry more payload due to stiffer leaf springs. Raptors have a ton of wheel travel due to soft leaf springs. You can't have both with leaf springs. You can do better with more expensive leaf spring packs, but there's always a trade off in load capacity versus articulation.

You won't break anything on your truck overloading it (within reason)- you are simply risking a huge lawsuit if you get in wreck with it overloaded. It's your responsibility to know what you are legally allowed to carry. Ignorance is not an excuse.

OP
OP
NovagatorCFA

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
To be honest, I've only had the truck for a month and didn't know what the max payload capacity was until after I got on the road (not a good excuse, I know).

I agreed to help out a co-worker by delivering 100 bags of rice to be sent out to folks in the Bahamas impacted by the hurricane.

Car actually drove fine, but noticed how much my bed was sagging after I got on the road and looked in the rear-view mirror.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason the payload is so little is because the total vehicle weight will exceed DOT limit for the class.

I hope you're kidding...if not...what class is the normal F150 in? Mis information like this is what ruins forums. The Raptor payload is lower than a "normal" F50 because of the way the suspension is set up. The manufacturer determines the safe operating limits based on testing methodologies...handling, stopping, control, etc, etc are all factors that go into determining the final weight. Our trucks are set up for off road driving, turning bumps into butter and the trade off is reduced payload. A "normal" F150 carries more and also has a much harsher ride off road. I don't think you did any damage but you did risk other people on the road by having a truck over loaded and difficult to stop/maneuver in an emergency. You traded a charitable good deed for people in the Bahamas for risking the lives of people in America as you unsafely transported your load. But you truck is fine

allinon72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Payload capacities have a certain safety factor built in, so in reality your truck can haul more than it's rated for. How large that safety factor is, is anyone's guess. However, your truck is fine, just don't make a habit of doing it regularly.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally, decades ago, Ford rated there trucks starting with the F100 which was a 1/2 ton truck. They also had the F200 and F300 which were 3/4 and 1 ton respectively trucks. Now they are the F250 and F350 (and more). The 100 in F100 signified 1000 pounds, hence 1/2 ton. Later on they added the F150 which was called "heavy half". All it had was an extra leaf in the springs for carrying added weight.

Interesting to note that the Raptor Screw has a higher load rating than the SCAB. The Gen1 SCAB shows 896 pound load capacity, and that includes passengers and cargo. That's not very much. Put five, 165 pound passengers in the seats and that leaves 71 pounds of cargo for the max weight.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was always told the F#'s related more to the torque rating and style of the rear axle i.e. non-floater, floater, dual wheel floater axle.
Today they are almost completely different trucks with little realtionship to load.