Another Raptor Towing Thread v. Boats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright FRF... I need some opinions from those who have hauled close to max payload and/or weight behind their trucks. I've had 7k behind my truck in the form of an enclosed trailer with a WD hitch no sweat, but this is a different animal.

The boss (wife) and I are boat shopping. We're looking at two sizes of the same model (23ft and 25ft). The 23ft falls well within the payload and towing capacity of our SCREW (1200 payload, 8000 gross)

We're heavily considering spending the coin now to get the 25ft so we (theoretically) reduce our desire to upgrade to a larger boat in the future. This is a bay center console for leisure and fishing in Florida.

So - the specs for the 25ft version:

Boat dry weight = 4150lbs
(2) Yamaha F150 outboards = 974lbs
Boat trailer - lets say 1000lbs (880lbs according to website)
Fuel/gear/beer - lets guess 400lbs of road weight - I say road weight because we live on the coast and have three ramps within 3 miles of our house. The boat wont see much road time. If we ever make a long haul (to the Keys or something), the tanks will be empty until we get there so we are mainly looking at gear weight.

I'm all in, behind the hitch, at around 6500lbs - Okay, trailer weight is fine but lets take a look at payload

At 6.5k, lets say 10-12% of that is tongue weight = 650-780lbs

Me and the wife are 350-375 depending on whats in her purse that day

Maybe there is a suitcase and a cooler in the bed. Maybe 100lbs

For payload, we're RIGHT near the limit - 1100 to 1200lbs

Seems reasonable right?

Any suggestions from those that tow boats regularily?

Im less concerned about the actual weight (I'm comfortable towing at those numbers) and more concerned about beating up my truck's suspension. My intention will be to add removable Timbren bump stops for if/when we make the long hauls. i guess worst case scenario, if I wear out the rear springs i'll throw some Deavers in.

Any input is much appreciated. I come from previously towing with a diesel 1-ton or greater prior to my Raptor so I havent had a lot to worry about prior to now.

Raptor.jpg

Killjoy

Reaction score
Just from my experience with a 2012 Screw, we towed our 24ft Yamaha all around New Smyrna Beach and to central Florida areas. No issues at all but here's the setup.

Dealer +2's (100k on them, yeah i know), Icon 3.0's recently rebuilt with only 10k on them. I feel like the truck was well balanced and didnt put a lot of strain on it. And yes I do have bumpstops also but I only could see those bottoming out when car hauling a 24ft trailer. I think in total is about 4100lbs on a dual axle that had new shackles/springs etc.

BTW the boat is for sale in New Smyrna if you are interested in a near-perfect twin jet boat (300hp, SX230).

1.jpg

2.jpg

NSB-Raptor.jpg

Last edited:

Zilla

Reaction score
My trailer weight is pretty similar and my 2019 never had an issue except for a long trip with a full bed. I didn’t like the amount of sag so had some bags installed with custom bracket and daystar cradles.

a couple of FRF members powered installs with great pictures on here and I followed their lead. The setup is fantastic and I have a wireless remote in the cab. Bags are unused and don’t effect anything until I am under load and choose to air them up. Total game changer as we tow a wake boat around most of the summer and then take the truck out to play in the snow during the winter.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright FRF... I need some opinions from those who have hauled close to max payload and/or weight behind their trucks. I've had 7k behind my truck in the form of an enclosed trailer with a WD hitch no sweat, but this is a different animal.

The boss (wife) and I are boat shopping. We're looking at two sizes of the same model (23ft and 25ft). The 23ft falls well within the payload and towing capacity of our SCREW (1200 payload, 8000 gross)

We're heavily considering spending the coin now to get the 25ft so we (theoretically) reduce our desire to upgrade to a larger boat in the future. This is a bay center console for leisure and fishing in Florida.

So - the specs for the 25ft version:

Boat dry weight = 4150lbs
(2) Yamaha F150 outboards = 974lbs
Boat trailer - lets say 1000lbs (880lbs according to website)
Fuel/gear/beer - lets guess 400lbs of road weight - I say road weight because we live on the coast and have three ramps within 3 miles of our house. The boat wont see much road time. If we ever make a long haul (to the Keys or something), the tanks will be empty until we get there so we are mainly looking at gear weight.

I'm all in, behind the hitch, at around 6500lbs - Okay, trailer weight is fine but lets take a look at payload

At 6.5k, lets say 10-12% of that is tongue weight = 650-780lbs

Me and the wife are 350-375 depending on whats in her purse that day

Maybe there is a suitcase and a cooler in the bed. Maybe 100lbs

For payload, we're RIGHT near the limit - 1100 to 1200lbs

Seems reasonable right?

Any suggestions from those that tow boats regularily?

Im less concerned about the actual weight (I'm comfortable towing at those numbers) and more concerned about beating up my truck's suspension. My intention will be to add removable Timbren bump stops for if/when we make the long hauls. i guess worst case scenario, if I wear out the rear springs i'll throw some Deavers in.

Any input is much appreciated. I come from previously towing with a diesel 1-ton or greater prior to my Raptor so I havent had a lot to worry about prior to now.

View attachment 139490

I would give the Roadmaster Active Suspension a try. I've been looking at ways to improve the towing without messing up the stock ride of the truck and this seems to be the ticket. DO NOT listen to people selling you on the Deavers. It's like a religion to them. Deavers are fantastic if you're doing BOTH front and rear suspension upgrades...not junky collars but Geiser progressive in front for example. Simply improving overall handling and towing without changing the stock dynamics of the truck seems like a perfect situation for the Roadmaster. Check em out and report back on your thoughts.

perry

Reaction score
I’d stick with what you have and try it out a few times before modifying your truck suspension.

Pulled a 28’ trophy on a tripple axel trailer for a number of years with no issues but sag. 2012 SCREW with whipple SC.

Rear sag is the only issue. I positioned the boat a little less than a 1 foot back on the trailer to adjust tongue weight and had no issue. Be supper careful adjusting tongue weight, small adjustments and checks for drivability.

Raptor handled the load Bette than my old 3/4 ton F250 V-10 in all regards.

pic before moving boat back in trailer, plenty of tongue weight... once moved it compressed the rear springs about 2.5-3”

CEED019D-91A5-480A-96F6-49274AAA4BBC.png

OP
OP
Supergumby5000

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I signed an offer on the boat today without a trailer (contingent on formal inspection and sea trial). We have a local trailer builder with a good rep that I'll likely reach out to so we can get a custom trailer built to control tongue weight without getting fancy.

I'll look into the roadmaster but I definitely would like to keep it as simple as possible. With the timbrens, $200 gets me a bump stop I can screw in and screw out in 5 minutes as needed.

OP
OP
Supergumby5000

Supergumby5000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trailer weight is pretty similar and my 2019 never had an issue except for a long trip with a full bed. I didn’t like the amount of sag so had some bags installed with custom bracket and daystar cradles.

a couple of FRF members powered installs with great pictures on here and I followed their lead. The setup is fantastic and I have a wireless remote in the cab. Bags are unused and don’t effect anything until I am under load and choose to air them up. Total game changer as we tow a wake boat around most of the summer and then take the truck out to play in the snow during the winter.

Wait.... so you have them permanently installed, but they dont affect the rear suspension travel when not in use? Sounds too good to be true but you have my attention....

Can you point me in the right direction on those threads?

Neauxla

Reaction score
Wait.... so you have them permanently installed, but they dont affect the rear suspension travel when not in use? Sounds too good to be true but you have my attention....

Can you point me in the right direction on those threads?
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat (get it?) as you. I’m looking at a ranger 2510 or shearwater Carolina and will be towing with a 2019. Please let me know what you chose and if it works.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a proper weight distribution hitch and it’ll make all the difference. Then you’ll have no payload concerns.