Brake options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't come across any recent threads about brakes ( not even sure if this is the right subforum...), anyone been feeling the need to improve over OEM? Been running a bit harder in the last few days and the stock brakes have been fading quickly for me - to the point where I almost got in trouble a couple of times!

Planning on changing the pads to EBC yellows ( been running EBC reds for years...) and new brake lines - any other goodies out there worth looking at?

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, there isn't much info on brakes, so I did something a little different then most people on here. I just replaced the EBC Yellow stuff pads on the stock front rotors and after 20k miles the rotors were chewed up. (I will never buy that brand again) Braking performance didn't increase over stock, I think it may have decreased. I couldn't lock up the wheels on dry pavement and get the ABS to engage at all!

I recently replaced the front rotors and pads along with the rear (stock) pads only as the rotors were barely worn. I went with stock Ford rotors and brake pads from Carbotech. I've used their pads on Camaros and Vettes in the past and they work great and dust and noise aren't bad for the performance you get.
Carbotech Performance Brakes

I went with the 1521 (street compound) for the rear pads and the AX6 (Autocross compound) for the front pads. Looking back, I think I went a little overkill on the front brakes. Noise and dust increased (front only) but holy shit does this thing stop and there is no way I'll get brake fade!!! Braking performance has greatly increased and the pads don't have to heat up like the EBC's to perform. They bite right away even when cold. If I had to do it again I would just put the 1521 street compound on the front and sacrifice performance for less dust and quieter brakes. I'm very happy with my choice.

KTM RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed EBC green stuff pads onto my A.R.T slotted rotors. I can definitely lock up and engage my abs on dry pavement. I had the rotors turned because I had un-even wear on my old driver side A.R.T pads. (Pistons/sliders are in perfect working order)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 105
OP
OP
Glo

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of people have went with the R1 brakes thru freedom motorsports and have been happy. contact Chris for the info

I will def. check those out! Thanks for the recommendations!

I agree, there isn't much info on brakes, so I did something a little different then most people on here. I just replaced the EBC Yellow stuff pads on the stock front rotors and after 20k miles the rotors were chewed up. (I will never buy that brand again) Braking performance didn't increase over stock, I think it may have decreased. I couldn't lock up the wheels on dry pavement and get the ABS to engage at all!

I recently replaced the front rotors and pads along with the rear (stock) pads only as the rotors were barely worn. I went with stock Ford rotors and brake pads from Carbotech. I've used their pads on Camaros and Vettes in the past and they work great and dust and noise aren't bad for the performance you get.
Carbotech Performance Brakes

I went with the 1521 (street compound) for the rear pads and the AX6 (Autocross compound) for the front pads. Looking back, I think I went a little overkill on the front brakes. Noise and dust increased (front only) but holy shit does this thing stop and there is no way I'll get brake fade!!! Braking performance has greatly increased and the pads don't have to heat up like the EBC's to perform. They bite right away even when cold. If I had to do it again I would just put the 1521 street compound on the front and sacrifice performance for less dust and quieter brakes. I'm very happy with my choice.

Great info!

I have been using EBC reds on my previous non-raptor truck and was very happy with them - I always switched the rotors every second pad change - and I agree with them being very hard on the rotors! The front pads usually lasted for about 8k-10k miles for me.

Are you sure you had the your yellow pads hot enough? Surprised to read that you couldn't even get them to engage ABS! I assume you didn't run the same set for 20k miles?

I am liking the idea of going autocross compound both front and rears - not too concerned about brake dust anymore - my rims look shit all the time anyways...but are the very noisy? From what I understand the yellow is EBC's race / autocross compound and requires high heat. But like you mentioned, I can see them perfrom terrible on street when not hot enough. Could be a bit dangerous for daily driving.

How long have you had your AX6's on your truck? Wondering if they are super soft and wear quickly?

I just installed EBC green stuff pads onto my A.R.T slotted rotors. I can definitely lock up and engage my abs on dry pavement. I had the rotors turned because I had un-even wear on my old driver side A.R.T pads. (Pistons/sliders are in perfect working order)

Are your headers glowing or what? :) Looks great!

Going to look into new rotors soon - OEM rotors have to last another set of pads!

How do you like your greens and rotors so far? Marketing blurbs on them says they are great for dirt - for my use I am concerned that they will fade too quickly.

Last edited:

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got the R1 cross drilled and slotted rotors and pads from Chris at Freedom Motorsports as well. The thing that really turned me on about this brands rotors is that the cross drilling is all the way through unlike that other brand that's imitation cross drilled. And the fact that these are really affordable unlike the Brembo kit that only takes care of the front for about $4,000. Call Chris at Freedom Motorsports. He can get you whatever you want at a very good price.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF you like, send a private message to myself or @Rookie and we can provide a shipped quote for you. Today is the last day of a 17% off sale R1Concepts is running on their brake parts and I have literally not found a better value out there. I HAVE seen cheaper options, but I am running their products on everything I own and have sold literally hundreds of packages of the same set up and 99 out of 100 have the same reaction to the improvement in performance AND the longevity.

Last edited:

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will def. check those out! Thanks for the recommendations!

Great info!

I have been using EBC reds on my previous non-raptor truck and was very happy with them - I always switched the rotors every second pad change - and I agree with them being very hard on the rotors! The front pads usually lasted for about 8k-10k miles for me.

Are you sure you had the your yellow pads hot enough? Surprised to read that you couldn't even get them to engage ABS! I assume you didn't run the same set for 20k miles?

I am liking the idea of going autocross compound both front and rears - not too concerned about brake dust anymore - my rims look shit all the time anyways...but are the very noisy? From what I understand the yellow is EBC's race / autocross compound and requires high heat. But like you mentioned, I can see them perfrom terrible on street when not hot enough. Could be a bit dangerous for daily driving.

How long have you had your AX6's on your truck? Wondering if they are super soft and wear quickly?

I've only had the AX6 pads on for 1 month. The EBC's were fine, and I never really noticed that they weren't stopping the truck like they should until I needed them. Luckily I stopped in time but I should have been able to stop faster. The yellow stuff pads just don't bit until they are hotter. I really like the AX6 compound, don't need to be hot to put an un-belted passenger through the windshield! They might be a little too much for the street, easy to lock up in the rain. They are really too loud for my liking, I don't mind a little noise but you can hear them squeal loud and clear with the windows up. There is no noise coming form the rear brakes and brake dust is similar to stock. Carbotech pads are more rotor friendly and I've always been happy with the longevity on other cars. If you decide to go the Carbotech route, I'd get the 1521 compound front and rear. I've had that pad on several Corvettes and never experienced brake fade from multiple back to back 120mph + stops. Hope that helps. :cheers:

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers that an absolute down right ridiculous new brake kit for the Raptor may be finding it's way on one of our shop trucks for debut at TRR. If not, they should be on the truck not to long after the run. These things are almost guaranteed to make you drool when you see them.

Jarrett

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm crossing my fingers that an absolute down right ridiculous new brake kit for the Raptor may be finding it's way on one of our shop trucks for debut at TRR. If not, they should be on the truck not to long after the run. These things are almost guaranteed to make you drool when you see them.

Jarrett
Not even a picture? :console:

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Lets see... In the past 30 days... RPG stage 3, Double AA lighting, 5 Star tune, Corsa exhaust, Nav-TV... So yep... I need some good brakes now to protect my investments right?:boxed: