Tragedy Averted... Hub Vacuum Line Rubbed Through

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying... I NEVER LET ANYONE WORK ON MY TRUCK OR HOUSE unless it is something I am ill equipped to handle or learn.
That being said... several months ago I installed a vacuum gauge on my hubs that monitors vacuum and visualizes to me whether my hubs are holding or engaging. Well today it payed for itself. I had 37 Nittos mounted on stock wheels and put on truck... all is well. driven about 100 miles and then today, a grinding sound from front end. I figured tire hitting plastic wheel liner or something. Get out, nothing hitting, nothing obviously wrong. Get back in, vacuum gauge reading 7 (22-24 normally). So hubs are not engaged. limp home knowing hubs are locked and begin the process. Find vacuum line to hub is stuck between UCA and tire, rubbed through.
Sooo...
1. Vacuum gauge is a good investment.
2. Vacuum lines can stretch and get between UCA and tire.
3. Always at least check everything everyone does to your truck.
I have made a temporary vacuum line and attached it up until I can get a new one and all is well. Hopefully nothing is damaged in hub from instantaneous activation/engagement at 50 mph.

The End...

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_102551738.jpg
    IMG_20140831_102551738.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 110

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am definitely interested in doing this mod, did you do everything yourself hooking up the vacuum gauge?

raptor1001

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had this happen as well, I'm interested in the vacuum gauge as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my truck. I went through 2 lines before I figured out that it is not the fault of anyone who worked on my truck.

I made sure the 2nd set were installed oem correct and still had the same problem.

I figured out that the problem is due to the extra width of the sidewall tread on the 37" Nittos when you use the factory wheels.

The only fix (with factory wheels) is to reroute the Vacuum lines and add zip ties to keep them away from the sidewall of your tire.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would also like to know about how u set your gauge up. Is there a way we could t tap the lines with a sender unit and mount a gauge in the cab?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Same here. I've got a destroyed front left axle from where a shop, literally 2 days before TRR, set my shocks to top perch but severed my vacuum line and I had to roll with it. *insert cringe here* it was a night mare knowing it was engaged like that. Idiots refused to fix it and told me they didn't do it when I was using 4wd just a few days before. There is a very obvious hissing noise when the vacuum lines are severed.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk