Prototype Bed Cage/Storage (XRD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to embark on creating a Raptor only universal bed cage/storage system because I have not been able to find an aftermarket kit to my liking that would still maintain the purpose of having a truck bed. It needed to be able to hold a second battery but be open to whatever and however I wanted to mount items. There's been two other interests from fellow Raptor owners on my cage locally so if FRF is cool with it... I'd like to gauge interest here. If you guys are interested, within the community, then I'll go about the route of becoming a vendor and pump a few of these out. So here we go!

Keep in mind that this is the first attempt (prototype if you will) and it is not powder coated (yet). It is 100% bolt in, including the side rails. Meaning no drilling into the bed what so ever.

How it all starts...

1.jpg

Added mesh backing and side rails, thinking that not everyone would need the side rails so without would be stage 1 and with would be stage 2?:

2.jpg

Bed extenders work without interference because of the design. Also tested the side rails with 200lbs and there was no flexing.

3.jpg

Bed extension plastic thingy closed:

4.jpg

Parting shot

5.jpg

Powder coating it next week and will mount some items on the rack to give you guys a feel for what you can do. Though I have a feeling you'll get the idea; after all, it's supposed to be universal :p My next step is to add a removable tire holder bar in the middle which I guess would be stage 3. I have a couple great ideas but going to see what you guys think first :)

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean design! Question, If there is no drilling ,How are you attaching the side rails in the rear of the bed?

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clean design! Question, If there is no drilling ,How are you attaching the side rails in the rear of the bed?

Great question! On the 2013's there's a whole that is in the bed towards the back which is pretty much the strongest point. This is were the side rail is anchored using steal rod. You slide the rail in and bolt at the front. That's it :p It also acts as a gusset for the front reinforcing the cage even more.

6.jpg

On the other side...

7.jpg

I'd like a picture of a 2010 to 2012 for where that is to see if it's the same. As it stands this is only for 2013's but I have a feeling they are all the same. (could be wrong)

Hopefully there's interest!

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we don't have a hole in 2010. Looks good otherwise, 2010 guys just need to drill a hole, take the rear lights off , you should be able to get to that bolt.

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we don't have a hole in 2010. Looks good otherwise, 2010 guys just need to drill a hole, take the rear lights off , you should be able to get to that bolt.

There's no bolt to do on the rear it literally just slides in. When you bolt to the cage in the front it pushes towards the rear just enough to make it snug. So I guess 2010 guys would just need to drill the 5/8's hole and be good to go. Hopefully someone takes a pick of the bed back there so I can see. I'd have to retract the "100% bolt in with no modifications to the bed" statement otherwise. Removing the rear lights would be meh as well.

I'll take pics of how it slides in after powder coating. Or maybe tomorrow when I have time do a quick vid.

Last edited:

mwright4679

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage to powder coating the system instead of say a linex or rhino? I see your bed has the spray liner, would be nice if the rack matched?

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the advantage to powder coating the system instead of say a linex or rhino? I see your bed has the spray liner, would be nice if the rack matched?

Linex and Rhino has a tendency to spray on thick depending on who's behind the gun and would make quality control tough in the long wrong; IMHO. I've been tossing around the idea of selling it in bare form but it could rust in transport if it gets wet or if the end user doesn't apply a good coating if it's rattle caned.

Rather the product be solid out the gate. It'll be more costly but in the end be best. Doing some mocking up tomorrow for a tire attachment as well as a slight redesign at the front mounts to make it easier to bolt on and off.

Then off to powder coating...

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

So where do all the things your storing go and stay put?

Well... Anywhere! That's why I designed it to be open ended with the grate. That way users can put whatever and wherever they want. I personally will put a hilift in the upper bar and go from there. Axe/shovel will be on a side rail. Toying around with mounting the VIAR 2.5g tank on it too instead of underneath the rig but that's a few weeks out.

Definitely will make sense once I start adding items to it and post some pics :p