You order a truck & the dealership allows others to test drive YOUR truck. WWYD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't ever happen in a Raptor. This is a rare specialty vehicle for which you are paying a premium over-sticker price. It's normal to have 10 miles or less on it. Our storage lot is 4.2 miles away. Most vehicles are delivered and processed there. My buddy let a customer test drive one - he was new and didn't know. He got pulled into the office and was about to get reamed when he told them his customer was buying it. He was then told to not do it again. It's a big deal if you even start one, or a Shelby for that matter.
Whats funny about that is when i pulled up to the Lexus dealership in my stingray, they tossed me the keys to their $114,000 LC500 without hardly asking for my insurance papers.

I had cars chasing me all over town, people snapping pictures at every stop etc every where i went that day.

I wasn't hard on it though.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
That shouldn't ever happen in a Raptor. This is a rare specialty vehicle for which you are paying a premium over-sticker price. It's normal to have 10 miles or less on it. Our storage lot is 4.2 miles away. Most vehicles are delivered and processed there. My buddy let a customer test drive one - he was new and didn't know. He got pulled into the office and was about to get reamed when he told them his customer was buying it. He was then told to not do it again. It's a big deal if you even start one, or a Shelby for that matter.

Both of the GT350 variants that I bought ( bought a regular one, heavily modified it, then sold it for an R) had exactly 9 miles on them.

The dealership had a policy that only the service manager could move or touch them.

My raptor had 29 miles on it when i bought it.

The dealership would not let anyone outside of their serious customers that have bought many cars from them even sit in the shelby cars. Test driving a raptor was no problem at all.

Raptors are not anywhere close to as limited as the gt350s. I cant comprehend why you couldnt test drive one.

Test driving one that has already been sold seems crazy to me. Why risk potential damage to an already sold vehicle?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All can be attributed to the outrageous markups. You certainly cannot test drive an $80K truck that truly costs $65K. If you damage it, they can't get that $15K markup. Makes sense to me...NOT.

I'm a Heli pilot, flew two Ford Dealers the other day. They saw my truck and were very curious about where I bought it, and how much I paid. Told them I was all in at $59K, they replied...We have a $10K minimum markup on all our Raptors and we never sell below that. My response...That's why I did not buy from you!!!

Last edited:

dizzydog

Reaction score
All can be attributed to the outrageous markups. You certainly cannot test drive an $80K truck that truly costs $65K. If you damage it, they can't get that $15K markup. Makes sense to me...NOT.

I'm a Heli pilot, flew two Ford Dealers the other day. They saw my truck and were very curious about where I bought it, and how much I paid. Told them I was all in at $59K, they replied...We have a $10K minimum markup on all our Raptors and we never sell below that. My response...That's why I did not buy from you!!!

$59k?? Isn't MSRP like $69?

dizzydog

Reaction score
Base truck starts in low $50s. It takes nearly every option to get the price up to $69k. But most of these trucks come loaded, so that is a typical price.

Yea mine was loaded but had about $12k in aftermarket stuff from ADD and SCA etc so I ended up having to pay for almost all that to get an MSRP deal.

caleb

Reaction score
My truck was one of the ones Ford held back for extra QA testing so it arrived with over 100 miles on it.

Same, mine had the card in it stating it had extra testing done with it at the factory, it had 76 miles on it.

still, how many have scored a Raptor test drive without having money / paperwork ready? From reports here, it’s under 1 percent.

Not sure what's you're saying here. I test drove many Raptors without any kind of commitment and zero paperwork filled out at several dealers. Not sure if I'm part of the 1% but it wasn't a big deal to be able to test drive a Raptor. None were already sold though.

If the dealer let someone drive my truck after I had signed paperwork and had money down/paid for, I would flip my lid. I'd personally kill the deal and go elsewhere even if it means waiting another 3-4 months. It's not their vehicle at that point and their only role is to receive it, prep it, and notify me to come pick it up. All my new vehicles have always had 3-8 miles on them. It was weird having 76 on a brand new truck.

dizzydog

Reaction score
Same, mine had the card in it stating it had extra testing done with it at the factory, it had 76 miles on it.

Not sure what's you're saying here. I test drove many Raptors without any kind of commitment and zero paperwork filled out at several dealers. Not sure if I'm part of the 1% but it wasn't a big deal to be able to test drive a Raptor. None were already sold though.

If the dealer let someone drive my truck after I had signed paperwork and had money down/paid for, I would flip my lid. I'd personally kill the deal and go elsewhere even if it means waiting another 3-4 months. It's not their vehicle at that point and their only role is to receive it, prep it, and notify me to come pick it up. All my new vehicles have always had 3-8 miles on them. It was weird having 76 on a brand new truck.

Just out of curiousity what was the purpose of test driving "many raptors" before buying? They are all pretty much gonna drive the same.