Looking to buy a Gen 1 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike_traps

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first truck ever. I am more of a car guy, but I need something more practical for the Minnesota weather. It also helps to have a bed to haul stuff from Lowe's. I didn't want just any truck, so I have been looking at the Raptor. I can't have a racecar, so why not get a race truck!? I recently found a 6.2L nearby, but the mechanic found $10k worth of repairs needed off the bat, and the dealership would not budge on price. I loved the test drive, but I can't afford to dump that kind of money into a $24k vehicle. I recently found a Gen 1 5.4L Raptor that looks stunning, but I am wondering if I'll be disappointed if I purchase it over the 6.2L. Any thoughts? I will be using it as a DD, and I might take it off-road a tiny bit (nothing crazy) just for the kids. This is the listing I found: https://www.garberhighland.com/inve...or-4wd-super-cab-styleside-1ftex1evxafb18518/

Is that a good price for a 5.4L? Should I keep looking for a 6.2L?

TIA

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was the first real truck I've owned as well, I dont count my previous Ridgeline as a real truck lol. Now i've never driven a 5.4, but I imagine its alot more sluggish than the 6.2. You should test drive it anyways to get a feel, and then find a 6.2 to drive if you havent already. Then you will know.

Also, if you think that theres a possibility of being let down, then you've already lost the mental battle. Just wait for decent 6.2 and you wont ever have to regret it.

Good luck on the search!

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first truck ever. I am more of a car guy, but I need something more practical for the Minnesota weather. It also helps to have a bed to haul stuff from Lowe's. I didn't want just any truck, so I have been looking at the Raptor. I can't have a racecar, so why not get a race truck!? I recently found a 6.2L nearby, but the mechanic found $10k worth of repairs needed off the bat, and the dealership would not budge on price. I loved the test drive, but I can't afford to dump that kind of money into a $24k vehicle. I recently found a Gen 1 5.4L Raptor that looks stunning, but I am wondering if I'll be disappointed if I purchase it over the 6.2L. Any thoughts? I will be using it as a DD, and I might take it off-road a tiny bit (nothing crazy) just for the kids. This is the listing I found: https://www.garberhighland.com/inve...or-4wd-super-cab-styleside-1ftex1evxafb18518/

Is that a good price for a 5.4L? Should I keep looking for a 6.2L?

TIA
What is the list of items that the mechanic is saying needs attention?

OP
OP
mike_traps

mike_traps

Reaction score
News shocks all-around, tires, rocker panels, and cab corners are rusted through, and a few other normal wear-and-tear items which equal to around $2,000. The rocker panels will cost $5k (called for estimates around here). I was quoted $4,300 for shocks (could possibly swap for rebuilt ones to save money). The back tailgate was shifted a little bit, so the mechanic thought it may have been impacted. There is also a considerable amount of rust in the doors. The 5.4L I put in my post has little to no rust, and it looks like it is in amazing shape. I just keep going back and forth if I want to wait for a 6.2L that's in better shape.

OP
OP
mike_traps

mike_traps

Reaction score
This was the first real truck I've owned as well, I dont count my previous Ridgeline as a real truck lol. Now i've never driven a 5.4, but I imagine its alot more sluggish than the 6.2. You should test drive it anyways to get a feel, and then find a 6.2 to drive if you havent already. Then you will know.

Also, if you think that theres a possibility of being let down, then you've already lost the mental battle. Just wait for decent 6.2 and you wont ever have to regret it.

Good luck on the search!
Thank you for the input. I personally prefer looks over performance. I obviously want the truck to perform, but if it is slightly more sluggish, I don't think I'll lose sleep over it. I really like the look of the blue 5.4L in my post. I am waiting for the dealership to inspect it, and they are currently servicing it. If it is in great shape, I think I'm going to take it. I guess I could upgrade the 5.4L if I ever feel the need to. I just hope it is reliable as it has 122k miles.

funkified

Full Access Member
Reaction score
News shocks all-around, tires, rocker panels, and cab corners are rusted through, and a few other normal wear-and-tear items which equal to around $2,000. The rocker panels will cost $5k (called for estimates around here). I was quoted $4,300 for shocks (could possibly swap for rebuilt ones to save money). The back tailgate was shifted a little bit, so the mechanic thought it may have been impacted. There is also a considerable amount of rust in the doors. The 5.4L I put in my post has little to no rust, and it looks like it is in amazing shape. I just keep going back and forth if I want to wait for a 6.2L that's in better shape.
Ouch that is quite the list, all of the wear items I wouldnt be concerned with, but its the rust that would be the long term issue. I bought my 13' SCAB with high mileage as well 150k mi on it, and it needed about 8k worth of mechanical work to bring it up to my standards of maintenance. Brand Fox new shocks can be had on Rockauto for about $1500, dont use the dealer for that.

The blue flame you posted looks really clean though! Must have some new aftermarket goodies as well. Also appears to have 20's on it, with maybe 35's (or 305/60/20 to keep it same factory diameters). That lift could prob fit a 37" setup, just sayin!

OP
OP
mike_traps

mike_traps

Reaction score
Ouch that is quite the list, all of the wear items I wouldnt be concerned with, but its the rust that would be the long term issue. I bought my 13' SCAB with high mileage as well 150k mi on it, and it needed about 8k worth of mechanical work to bring it up to my standards of maintenance. Brand Fox new shocks can be had on Rockauto for about $1500, dont use the dealer for that.

The blue flame you posted looks really clean though! Must have some new aftermarket goodies as well. Also appears to have 20's on it, with maybe 35's (or 305/60/20 to keep it same factory diameters). That lift could prob fit a 37" setup, just sayin!
It does look sweet! I might just pull the trigger on it! It does have some modifications done; once the dealership is done inspecting and servicing it, they are going to let me know what's been done on it. It is several hours away, so I won't be able to test drive it. They are willing to meet me halfway though.