Which tire? 35" Grabbers or 315 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I thought Duratracs got the kevlar side walls, but I guess they don't have any kevlar in them. It would seem airing down would allow the side wall to deflect more around a sharp object. The E Duratracs sure feel thinner than a D TKO BFG.

Our stock BFGs are a load rang D with 3 ply sidewall. From what I can tell, it looks like the Duratracs are only a 2 ply side wall. I can't remember the specifics on the tire from yesterday but we have another/different set laying around; Duratracs, LT 275 65 R20 load range E max load 3750lb at 80psi. The side wall reads: Tread 2 poly, 2 steel, 2 nylon. Sidwall 2 poly. Looking around on the net, it doesn't look like any Duratracs come 3 ply sidewall. Maybe that's where the weight savings comes from.

my mistake, i got confused. the D / E load rating has to do with the total rating of the tire, not the actual total of plies. so, as it would seem, an E (10 ply equivalent) load rated tire has a higher load and PSI capacity than a D (8 ply load equivalent), it comes down to the material used rather than the total number of plies.

The load range or ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall helps identify how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of carcass plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.

In all cases, when changing tire sizes or converting from one type of size to another, it is important to confirm that the Load Index in the tire's Service Description of the new tire is equal to or greater than the Load Index of the original tire and/or that the new tire’s rated load capacity is sufficient to carry the vehicle's Gross Axle Weight Ratings.

Passenger Tires

Since most P-Metric passenger tires are manufactured in the Standard Load Ranges, they will have nothing branded on their sidewalls or may be branded Standard Load and identified by an SL in their descriptions, as in P235/75R-15 SL.

Extra Load P-Metric tires will be branded Extra Load, and identified by an XL in their descriptions, as in P235/75R-15 XL.

Light Load P-Metric tires will be branded Light Load, and identified by an LL in their descriptions, as in P285/35R-19 LL.

NOTE: Only P-Metric sized tires with 45-series aspect ratios or lower may be manufactured in a Light Load configuration. Light Load tires are designed to carry less weight than Standard Load tires and have been developed for specific applications (typically when relatively large tire sizes are used as Original Equipment (O.E.) on relatively small cars or for Track & Competition DOT tires used for racing applications).
P-Metric Passenger Vehicle Tires Load Ranges Abbreviated Max Load Pressure
Light Load LL 35 psi (240 kPa)*
Standard Load Nothing or SL 35 psi (240 kPa)*
Extra Load XL 41 psi (280 kPa)*
*In an effort to internationally harmonize load ratings and ranges, recently introduced and future LL, SL and XL P-Metric sizes will use ISO/Euro-metric maximum load pressures of 36 or 42 psi

Standard Euro-Metric tires will have nothing branded on their sidewalls, while Extra Load/Reinforced Euro-Metric tires will be branded as such and identified by an XL or RF in their descriptions, as in 305/50R20 XL or 305/50R20 RF.
Euro-Metric Passenger Vehicle Tires Load Ranges Abbreviated Max Load Pressure
Standard Load Nothing or SL 36 psi (250 kPa)**
Extra Load RF or XL 42 psi (290 kPa)**
**Reinforced and Extra Load nomenclature may be used interchangeably to designate heavy-duty tires

Light Truck Tires
Since light truck tires are often available in multiple load ranges, the appropriate load range is identified immediately following the size's rim diameter in Tire Rack's descriptions.

LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric tires are branded with their load range (Load Range E or LRE) or their ply rating (10 Ply Rated) on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as LT245/75R-16 E, 7.50R-15 D or 31x10.50R-15 C.
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure
B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)***
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)***
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)***
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)***
F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***
***Selected large LT sizes are designed with reduced maximum load pressures

Special Trailer Service Tires
Special Trailer Service tires are often available in multiple load ranges. The appropriate load range is identified immediately following the size's rim diameter in Tire Rack's descriptions.

ST-Metric sized special trailer service tires will be branded with their load range (Load Range D or LRD) on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as ST205/75R15 LRD.
ST-Metric Trailer Service Tires Load Range Ply Rating Markings Max Load Pressure
B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my mistake, i got confused. the D / E load rating has to do with the total rating of the tire, not the actual total of plies. so, as it would seem, an E (10 ply equivalent) load rated tire has a higher load and PSI capacity than a D (8 ply load equivalent), it comes down to the material used rather than the total number of plies.

A guy I work with has had the Duratracs on and older F150 for a year or so. He uses the truck to haul water with a huge ass tank in the bed. He always over loads the shit out of it and so far has had zero issues with the tires. I don't doubt the sidewalls when it comes to a load, I'm sure Goodyear has it figured out. I just wonder how puncture resistant they are for the times you do take it off roading. The difference between the side walls on the Goodyear SilentArmor with the "durawalls" vs the Duratracs is pretty significant also.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my grabbers in the snow last year for a few months. They weren't terrible, better than I expected, but the stock BFG's did do better.
Yah I can see that , I guess last year was waying on my hung over mind this morning.
Last year we had record snow falls and it was awsome and any tire got it's ass kicked. If I lived in warmer climates the Grabber would be a sweet tire .

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yah I can see that , I guess last year was waying on my hung over mind this morning.
Last year we had record snow falls and it was awsome and any tire got it's ass kicked. If I lived in warmer climates the Grabber would be a sweet tire .

Doubt it. I lived in Calgary for 39 years. I've seen some deadly snow and ice, and I drive the Rockies often. This december I'm taking the raptor over the mountains with my Duratracs. I'll be pulling people out of ditches all day I'm sure.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doubt it. I lived in Calgary for 39 years. I've seen some deadly snow and ice, and I drive the Rockies often. This december I'm taking the raptor over the mountains with my Duratracs. I'll be pulling people out of ditches all day I'm sure.

We need some vids of that for sure!

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

By Warmer climate i meant some where like AZ. I am running the MT/R's on my Raptor.

I have regular TKO BFG 's on my older super crew and they do pretty good in the snow but much smaller tire at 275.

Rat

Reaction score
I just wonder how puncture resistant they are for the times you do take it off roading. The difference between the side walls on the Goodyear SilentArmor with the "durawalls" vs the Duratracs is pretty significant also.

As far as desert running it's skill to avoid most rocks but when it's all rocks and your going fast it's pretty much luck to avoid the sharp ones. That's the reason you would carry 2 spares, tubes, and tire tools. You never know what would happen no matter how strong your sideswalls are.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
As far as desert running it's skill to avoid most rocks but when it's all rocks and your going fast it's pretty much luck to avoid the sharp ones. That's the reason you would carry 2 spares, tubes, and tire tools. You never know what would happen no matter how strong your sideswalls are.

Exactly. Also a lot of times you're out beyond cell service, so it's all on you. Getting the strongest tires you can without being too heavy is good extra bit of insurance though.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score

i was gonna say this, that *if* the stockers in fact have stronger sidewalls, wouldn't a rock that blows open the sidewall on the Duratrac probably also blow open the wall on the stock tires, unless it's just barely enough? i mean a violent enough impact with a sharp rock will probably blow any tire unless it's really thick.