Which tire? 35" Grabbers or 315 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear all the positive reviews about the Goodyear DuraTracs. I really like the look of them and that's the direction I was planning on going when my stock BFG's are done. The BFG's are OK but they pack full of snow or mud really easily.

Last edited:

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
i wouldn't give Toyos or Nittos to my worst enemy. crapola tires.

Can you give some background (personal experience, something you read, etc) to that statement? All the research I did for a long lasting great mud tire that's also used as a daily driver was very positive on the Toyo's.

I've never found a better tire at slingin' mud BUT they are a little on the heavy side. (Open Country MT)

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Wrangler MT/R's are not worth it after owning a set IMHO.

Best off road tire I've ever had that did everything well was the old style BFG mud terrain. Don't think they make it anymore.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Grabbers would not be good in the snow , in fact I think they would be terrible and could cause at best a few embarrassing moments and at worst , well I will leave it at that. I am sure you seen the recent thread Birdman started on wheels . Good pics in there of the Goodyears.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put a few sets Duratracs on various vehicles, never see any problems or complaints; just did a set on a Tundra I lifted a few hours ago. Only thing that concerns me is the side wall thickness. For everyday driving I'm sure it would never be an issue, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for a Raptor run. I compared the thickness to a Regular BFG TKO, and a BFG KM2. The duratrac was definitively the thinnest of the group with the KM2 being the thickest. Maybe the Kevlar fibers make up for the sidewall thickness... I dunno, seemed pretty damn (scary) thin.

I have a set of generals. They do wear faster than a regular tire, but the wear is even; possibly because I'm overly **** about my alignment. I think they do better in the mud then the stock tires, I wouldn't say they're horrible in mud.. But I do not daily drive my generals, they're just too damn heavy for my liking. I have two sets of wheels. The stock BFG's are mounted to the OMF wheels I bought from Bojangles, these are my daily driver wheels/tires. The generals are mounted to the original stock wheels. I really think this is the way to do it, have a set mounted up for D/D and a set mounted up for off road.

The regular Duratrac has Kevlar in the sidewalls ? Here are the specs on the new Duratrac. It only has 2 plies of poly as far as all I looked at . Sorry if I misunderstood your post .

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Off Road Tire - Off-Road Magazine

Mounted On:
18x8.5 **** Cepek Torque wheels

Size On Sidewall:
315/70R17

Load Range:
D

Max Load:
3,195 pounds

Tread Depth:
18/32

Plies in Sidewall:
2 polyester

Of Plies In Tread:
2 polyster, 2 steel

Weight Of Tire:
59.9 pounds

Measured Diameter Unloaded:
34 inches

Measured Width Unloaded:
13 inches

Measured Tread Width:
10.5 inches

Available Sizes:
29-36 inches in diameter

Available For:
16- to 20-inch wheels

Read more: Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Off Road Tire - Off-Road Magazine

MT/R with Kevlar : I just put them on and side walls were rather stout .

Attachments

• imagesCAWB5JJP.jpg
    imagesCAWB5JJP.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^That's a really interesting point. I didn't realize the sidewall was so much thinner than even OEM?

Hmm... we're definitely rubbing rocks all the time in the desert. So much so last time that I was a bit concerned about the OEM's actually (but they did just fine). If you're saying the Duratracs are even thinner?

Do you know if they are they sure sure kevlar lined on the sides PA? I wonder how airing down affects things? I'm always airing down to 26-30psi depending.

I thought Duratracs got the kevlar side walls, but I guess they don't have any kevlar in them. It would seem airing down would allow the side wall to deflect more around a sharp object. The E Duratracs sure feel thinner than a D TKO BFG.

aren't the OEM BFG a Load Range D 8 ply sidewall and the Duratracs are E - 10 ply?

Our stock BFGs are a load rang D with 3 ply sidewall. From what I can tell, it looks like the Duratracs are only a 2 ply side wall. I can't remember the specifics on the tire from yesterday but we have another/different set laying around; Duratracs, LT 275 65 R20 load range E max load 3750lb at 80psi. The side wall reads: Tread 2 poly, 2 steel, 2 nylon. Sidwall 2 poly. Looking around on the net, it doesn't look like any Duratracs come 3 ply sidewall. Maybe that's where the weight savings comes from.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the Grabbers would not be good in the snow , in fact I think they would be terrible and could cause at best a few embarrassing moments and at worst , well I will leave it at that. I am sure you seen the recent thread Birdman started on wheels . Good pics in there of the Goodyears.

I drove my grabbers in the snow last year for a few months. They weren't terrible, better than I expected, but the stock BFG's did do better.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The regular Duratrac has Kevlar in the sidewalls ? Here are the specs on the new Duratrac. It only has 2 plies of poly as far as all I looked at . Sorry if I misunderstood your post . Snip

Yeah you're right. I thought the Dura's got the kevlar but they don't.