Tuner- Negative experience of using one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think part of the reason Ford doesn't fix their tuning "issues" is because they know that the aftermarket tunes are out there and let them do the leg work to make the truck run right and then play the warranty game. Win-win for them. Harley-Davidson figured out how to play both sides of that with their race tuner.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How programmers work, each input value can be changed for a range. For example shift point from 1 to 2 the range from Ford is 1800 to 2500 RPM's. The tuner modifies it to 2500 to 3500 this would make the truck feel like its has a little more power. Now that range can be seen by Ford when using there scope to check system values.. So Ford can deny a warranty if it is a transmission problem and can point to the modified shift points created be the tuner. Yes Ford can see every single thing the tuner did and what it is modified too. If your Warranty is important to you and your extended warranty then do not buy any tuner. Ford will know exactly what was modified and by how much and can deny warranty claims based on the information. Now it also helps you in the fact that Ford can not deny a warranty claim on something unrelated to the tune. Say if your electric windows stop working, the tune did not effect that. But Ford is downloading the information we provide when we drop the truck off for service. They send it to Detroit and they review the changes made and can determine if the changes were what created the problems. Modifications can, not will void warranties.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How programmers work, each input value can be changed for a range. For example shift point from 1 to 2 the range from Ford is 1800 to 2500 RPM's. The tuner modifies it to 2500 to 3500 this would make the truck feel like its has a little more power. Now that range can be seen by Ford when using there scope to check system values.. So Ford can deny a warranty if it is a transmission problem and can point to the modified shift points created be the tuner. Yes Ford can see every single thing the tuner did and what it is modified too. If your Warranty is important to you and your extended warranty then do not buy any tuner. Ford will know exactly what was modified and by how much and can deny warranty claims based on the information. Now it also helps you in the fact that Ford can not deny a warranty claim on something unrelated to the tune. Say if your electric windows stop working, the tune did not effect that. But Ford is downloading the information we provide when we drop the truck off for service. They send it to Detroit and they review the changes made and can determine if the changes were what created the problems. Modifications can, not will void warranties.

Why does Ford choose those shift points? my guess is their tuning is skewed more toward mileage gains (focus on the Ecoboost). The aftermarket guys go towards the performance end. That being said, if you go with a tune from someone who stays within Fords parameters they can argue but it is still within the limits that they have set. Depends on how much you want to argue if you ever have a claim.

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running an SVC Tune (SCT programmer) and love it.

Drop in S&B Filter and larger air box nozzle and resonator delete with a Magnapak.

Throttle response is very crisp and shifts are great...truck "feels" like it has about 50 HP more.

I am installing American Racing Long Tube Headers with high flow cats and SVC has already sent me my updated Tune file via email...no charge for revisions.

Customer Service is second to none...Jeff is a very switched on guy and their tune keeps within the Ford safety parameters.

I drive the truck like it's stolen...ALL THE TIME...always in manual mode and always bouncing off the rev limiter...zero issues so far.

I don't care about warranty issues as the truck is paid for and I am fortunate to have a well paying job. If I break something it will get replaced with something better.

This is what I mean by "driving it like it's stolen"....'err-day :crazy:

That thing will scream with headers no resonator and magnapak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had 3 different tunes and changed back and forth many times. Never an issue. Period.

5 star
JDM
Local shop in Houston

All very good tunes for improved throttle response, shift points, overall driving performance. If you don't want to go faster, sooner, with more power, or worried about your warranty, do not tune. Pretty simple. I think the stock tune is a joke. Terrible for a an engine of this capability to be that limited. Sad really to think 75% of raptor owners spend all this money on a truck of this caliber and it drives like Wussy.(was going to use the P word, but trying to keep it clean)

Once you tune and add some bolt ons, you will never look back.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Warranty is hit or miss and usually a miss where I'm at. All depends on the dealership/service writer

Exactly. I've never had an issue with a tune at any dealer I've dealt with. I don't change my tune when I bring it in for oil changes, past warranty work, or anything. Never had any issue what so ever. Been tuned since mile 5,000 and am currently at 49,000~. Couldn't be happier about the throttle response.

ORM is whatever. The only advantage is the diff stays locked past 25mph or whatever the limit is. Honestly not that big of a deal IMO.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed Jordan,

I tuned after 500 miles, and have done an assortment of add ons without ever an issue on any of them. Buy quality stuff, get someone who knows these vehicles to put it on, do your research, and there are no issues. Buy cheap crap, take it to the dealer, worry about warranty stuff, get knuckleheads to do your work, and shit is going to happen, and things will break. You get what you pay for. And these trucks were made to mod. 25K in add-ons and still going. This forum is an excellent resource when used properly.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst part to me is the loud popping from the speakers when the load first begins. I cringe everytime and feel like something has to be damaged...