Tuner- Negative experience of using one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have had no negative experience what so ever on using a tuner. Yes I notice a difference, mainly in how if shifts. Is it funner, Yeah.

But I also purchased a ESP till 125k that is more important to me. Plus when off-roading the ORM is also important. Tune is great for street use.

I spent $700 for the tuner and tunes. For the money if I had to do it again, this is one mod I would of forgone. I would of rather put that money into a set of tires.

My biggest concern is the warranty.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had no negative experience what so ever on using a tuner. Yes I notice a difference, mainly in how if shifts. Is it funner, Yeah.

But I also purchased a ESP till 125k that is more important to me. Plus when off-roading the ORM is also important. Tune is great for street use.

I spent $700 for the tuner and tunes. For the money if I had to do it again, this is one mod I would of forgone. I would of rather put that money into a set of tires.

My biggest concern is the warranty.
Got it..... thanks RDFTS
I purchased ESP as well
Duh.....on ORM hard to keep up with all the acronyms

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have tuned many Raptors since their debut. From CAI, Cat-back and Custom tune to our exclusive 6.6L Extreme Stroker motor featuring our Cylinder Heads and Twin Turbochargers.

From mild to wild we can provide you with proven products to enhance your Raptor.

Here is a dyno video of a Raptor we installed a CAI, Corsa Cat-back and of course our tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51_LtiDBpo0

Here is another dyno video, this one is of the 6.6L Twin Turbo Raptor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZGG82kqbc

Check out our YouTube link below for even more videos of Raptors we have worked on.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To the OP, just my 2 cents!

Some of the experiences with tuners mentioned here are a little out dated.

The ORM is not affected by any third party tuner, no one to date has written a calibration for off-road mode.

There are now a wide variety of Tunes available to use.

Example:
If you have or want Headers, you can go with a Tune that shuts off the rear O2s, which in my opinion is a bad idea.
Unless you want to run a cat-less system then you need the rear O2s off so you don't throw codes.

Luckily the Tuners now offer to go with a Tune with the O2s on and use O2 spacers, this way you can pass inspection.

Reasons to go for it:
1) having the throttle open up 100% off the light.
2) Better shifting
3) Removal of the speed limiter.

The Vendors here on this forum all have solid Tunes, to date no one has had any harm done to their Raptor using their Tunes.

Last edited:

ryanjoyce007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a tune on my 2012 from Jon Lund Racing. It came with the truck. Don't use it anymore because I had to replace my transmission at 3k miles and again at 22k miles. Since I stopped using it no issues to 100k. It was very aggressive and loved the response just a little nervous about getting another one.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used a tune on my 2012 from Jon Lund Racing. It came with the truck. Don't use it anymore because I had to replace my transmission at 3k miles and again at 22k miles. Since I stopped using it no issues to 100k. It was very aggressive and loved the response just a little nervous about getting another one.

You blew two trannys?

LastLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the SVC tune was written within the safety parameters of FORD settings anyway.

I also thought that FORD could detect if a tune had been installed at any point of the history of that vehicle if they wanted.

I am not a lawyer but i suspect its a grey area of having to determine that a tune created an unsafe condition that resulted in some type of failure.

unknown, just a thought i guess.

ryanjoyce007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not big into trannies these days... Yeah I went through 2 transmissions within 8 months of having my truck. Had to hire a lawyer to get the second replacement.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Magnuson-Moss WarrantyAct says they have to prove it is what the cause. They still fought me about it for a month or so.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the SVC tuner with 5 star tunes. I noticed a big difference when paired with a CAI. The shift points, in town and on the highway, are noticeably crisper and really let the truck run out.

It doesn't affect ORM at all.

I've got 47k on my truck with ZERO issues to this point.

My service manager told me that the tunes that I have would not hurt a thing on the truck and that he would fix whatever breaks within reason.

I'd say, go for it!!! Develop a good relationship with your service manager and make sure he knows you are not beating on the truck but only want to improve an already awesome machine.......