Tuner- Negative experience of using one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjoyce007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said the tune I had was very aggressive. I hear a lot of good stuff about tunes and especially 5 star tunes...

Aramco Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running an SVC Tune (SCT programmer) and love it.
Drop in S&B Filter and larger air box nozzle and resonator delete with a Magnapak.
Throttle response is very crisp and shifts are great...truck "feels" like it has about 50 HP more.
I am installing American Racing Long Tube Headers with high flow cats and SVC has already sent me my updated Tune file via email...no charge for revisions.
Customer Service is second to none...Jeff is a very switched on guy and their tune keeps within the Ford safety parameters.

I drive the truck like it's stolen...ALL THE TIME...always in manual mode and always bouncing off the rev limiter...zero issues so far.

I don't care about warranty issues as the truck is paid for and I am fortunate to have a well paying job. If I break something it will get replaced with something better.

This is what I mean by "driving it like it's stolen"....'err-day :crazy:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a tuner with 5 star and SVC but only used it for about 5k and currently have no tune loaded for nearly 6 months. I am debating on selling it as I don't think it's worth risking warranty for a change to me that is negligible.

You already used your tuner so your warranty is most likely toast even if you put the stock tune back. The ecu has a flash counter and if that doesn't match the number of times the ford system has flashed it you have an instant red flag.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@t_j i was curious about that, lets say you have the truck tuned and return it to stock. Then you drive it for about 5k miles, and boom something breaks. Do you think they would blame it on the tune even though it was not tuned at the time?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They will say that it was caused during the time it was tuned, it's only your word as to when it was returned to stock. Additionally you probably can't afford enough lawyers to fight ford in court. If you value your powertrain warranty don't tune it.

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From everything I've read and can remember, the only true tune related issue is if ford flashes it while it's tuned and turns into a brick. This can usually be fixed but is a pain.

I've been running a 5* performance daily for the last 20,000 miles and zero issues. Including around Nurburgring, 120mph sprints on the autobahn, and all the miles in between.

I used ORM on the poker run and zero issues.

Warranty is hit or miss and usually a miss where I'm at. All depends on the dealership/service writer

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I am not liking the replacement of 2 transmission

Keep in mine this was a Jon Lund Tune and not a vendor on here and probably one of his first ones.
Without saying to much Mustangs are Jon Lund's strong area.
It would have been best if he did some data logging with Jon Lund,
but I guess the fun factor over ruled his thought process. LOL

All the Tuners on this forum have a smooth performance shift strategy.
While you can ask and get a harder banging shift points strategy you will hurt the tranny with this 6,000 lbs. truck

I've been Whipple Supercharged for more than three years now, with 80% light to light driving, no tranny problems here.
While I drive hard, I don't beat the crap out of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

You already used your tuner so your warranty is most likely toast even if you put the stock tune back. The ecu has a flash counter and if that doesn't match the number of times the ford system has flashed it you have an instant red flag.

See I really wish someone can clarify EXACTLY what a Ford dealership can see and cannot see. What people say is all over the map and not sure what is truth. I've heard this but also heard that they can just see how many times of ignition starts and every time you tune it, that is reset to 0. So if you always set it back to stock before taking it in, the counter would be very low and not correlate to the miles on the truck. But no one has confirmed that either. Nor what you are claiming.

People have asked over and over again how Ford can tell but would really like to hear from someone at Ford with authority to answer this question?

I figured if I had a tune from say 5k to 10k miles and that's it, then you have a warranty issue on the powertrain at 95k, I find it hard for them to blame the issue on something 90k miles ago. What about used vehicles that a dealer might sell and the previous owner had a tune and took it off, every buyer after that even though has an ESP are toast?