Transmission temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what is "safe" for a trans temp offroad? Pushing the truck pretty hard but it was very cool out today, 15c (60f) and still got to 109C (227f)

Thoughts? Is that within operating specs? Seems hot. I would worry when it's 110f out what the temp will be...

impaul4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept an eye on mine driving 85-88mph last night from OK to TX and reached 196 F max.

OP
OP
McCarthy

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept an eye on mine driving 85-88mph last night from OK to TX and reached 196 F max.

Highest i've seen (albeit pulling a huge mtn in the rockies at 90mph) on road is 215 which didn't really worry me. The 227 offroad in cool temps worried me.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These transmissions are designed to run at higher temperatures for optimal efficiency and performance, which is why they have both a fluid warmer and cooler. 227 degrees is nothing to be concerned with.
That’s good piece of mind.

I’ve seen mine climb to 198-200 in bumper to bumper traffic in Florida with this heatwave. It’s been unbearable.

OP
OP
McCarthy

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These transmissions are designed to run at higher temperatures for optimal efficiency and performance, which is why they have both a fluid warmer and cooler. 227 degrees is nothing to be concerned with.

What would be the max safe in your opinion? Thanks for your help!!