Transmission temp question (Gen 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
Okay, so maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing or I'm being paranoid, BUT, this is driving me crazy. Over the past several months (I want to say about the time I had the front pinion seal leak addressed back in October/November) I've noticed that my transmission temp climbs to high 190s to low 200s. Which, according to the research on the forum isn't normally a big deal, however there are a few things that concern me:

1. The trans temp has at most climbed to ~195 even with several hard pulls in sport mode.
2. The temp takes quite some time to cool back down. Normally if I do hard pulls the temp was relatively quick to return to approximately 190.
3. This is the reason in finally posing the question. Once it gets to about 197 or higher, when shifting from 7th to 8th gear, it seems to lurch pretty good.

from what research I've tried to do myself on the forum/YouTube/internet searches the temperature doesn't sound like it's getting anywhere hot enough to be a problem, I've just noted it as an abnormality from what I was normally accustomed to.

I'm not exactly sure what the operating temp range is, but I know I've read a post on here from FTO that the trans fluid temp is sensitive to what level it's at. Is it possible that there might have been some spillage from the trans during the front pinion seal repair? Or that the thermostat is subject to sticking, as I've read? I intend to start digging into the issue myself, but I was just curious to hear any feedback from more educated members or others that might've experienced the same issue.

Thanks fellas!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those numbers are perfectly normal, there is nothing to be concerned with. These transmissions are designed to run at higher temperatures, that is where they perform optimally. Hence why they have both a transmission warmer and cooler.

The sticking thermostat issue that’s been mentioned is the engine t-stat, and it only occurs if the system has been opened up.

The transmission fluid does not need to be drained to service the front pinion seal.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
The front pinon, t-stat and transmissions are all different systems and take different fluids. If they are now sharing the same fluids, then you were probably off roading around the Titanic.

OP
OP
KingKoopa17

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
Those numbers are perfectly normal, there is nothing to be concerned with. These transmissions are designed to run at higher temperatures, that is where they perform optimally. Hence why they have both a transmission warmer and cooler.

The sticking thermostat issue that’s been mentioned is the engine t-stat, and it only occurs if the system has been opened up.

The transmission fluid does not need to be drained to service the front pinion seal.
That's what I figured. It's just weird, cuz like I said, I swore I've watched the trans temp stay around 190 and hardly ever touch 200 and would generally cool down pretty quickly. Though recently it seems to jerk into 8th gear from 7th when around 200, which is what had me questioning things. But between you and literally everywhere else on the internet, I think it's safe to say I might just be overthinking things, lol. Also thanks for clarifying on the last two items, I don't know why I was thinking it was the trans t-stat. And noted on the front pinion seal.

The front pinon, t-stat and transmissions are all different systems and take different fluids. If they are now sharing the same fluids, then you were probably off roading around the Titanic.
IMG_20230711_195734.gif