Transmission heating up quickly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously for my situation (the reason this thread was made) it wouldn't matter what ******* oil I had in it. Boss Hoss I'm sure that Amsoil makes a great product but this isn't the place for arguing that. Right now with having a malfunctioning thermostat and check valve putting any amount of aftermarket products on my trans won't help it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok fine by me. Just don't start squealing like a stuck pig when something fails in the tranny prematurely because of latent heat induced stress to internal components from this issue. Have a nice day and good luck.

Last edited:

Bink1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tranny runs a bit higher than I would like it to. Can't for the life of me figure out why

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374362956.320102.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374362956.320102.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fine by me. Just don't start squealing like a stuck pig when something fails in the tranny prematurely because of latent heat induced stress to internal components from this issue. Have a nice day and good luck.

Hey Boss ill be sure to look you up next time I'm in NM since I have family there and make you eat those words. What type of help have you been to this thread...NONE. I have a problem and all you want to argue is the fact that Amsoil is top notch and that Wiz knows nothing of what he talks about because your in the aerospace field. Oh oops sorry the "military" aerospace field. **** of here *******.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Boss ill be sure to look you up next time I'm in NM since I have family there and make you eat those words. What type of help have you been to this thread...NONE. I have a problem and all you want to argue is the fact that Amsoil is top notch and that Wiz knows nothing of what he talks about because your in the aerospace field. Oh oops sorry the "military" aerospace field. **** of here *******.

Thank you for the offer. Hope you don't have any long term issues seriously but by using the BIC component or lubricants all you are doing is extending the life or improving the performance of individual components or the associated assemblies. Been associated with design and development of many systems on just abut every tactical aircraft that is flying in the US at this time.

Sorry you were not able to understand what the advantages of using superior products in your vehicle. In the end the use of superior performance fluids in your vehicle increase the margin of safety with respect to any damage caused by a malfunction or failure. Give that some consideration the next time you are in the desert running at 110 or higher ambient with dust and dirt being sucked into and through the heat exchangers reducing efficiency.

Some people are in the relentless pursuit of perfection some are not. Good luck with the systemic cause--sounds like a simple fix but just to be safe even if it is replaced with Ford fluid change it.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be sort of funny with posts on these boards with how people comment and react. Like emails things can be read into written words that maybe were not there, or were not meant to be read that way. Other times people should pause a minute before posting something, especially when it is more of a personal view and not always fact. Sure people have brand preferences and in most cases that is their view, but should not be pushing that upon others. Needless to say most of us on this site have a brand preference for Ford, or well at least the Raptor, otherwise we would not be here.

Okay, back on the topic just because one person has a trans which does not heat up, does not mean it is in the same conditions as others. Big difference between running at speed in one are say compared to running slower in another. Like say sand, lower tire pressure, a lot harder on the transmission then higher speed on flat ground, or even somewhat hilly.

With regards to transmission fluid, many companies make good quality products. Sure some may be better than others depending on the intended application. Transmission fluid is the most complex of all fluids in the vehicle. It must be able to cool, protect, lubricate parts of the transmission but also allow a certain amount of friction so the clutches and bands can engage correctly. It used to be easy, 2 to 3 types covered almost everything, but now it is crazy and the main thing I would recommend is don't use anything that says it is universal. Part of the reason is the difference in viscosity of these fluids now. But at the end of the day, these are just my opinions.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I got the truck back on thurs and took it out yesterday. Around town it would only get around 194*. After getting on it for a while my trans only got up to 208* :) They ended up replacing the transmission thermostat and check valve. So now that it's fixed it's time to get back out and play again.

BTW thanks Wiz you were right!