Transmission Fluid - Concencus?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the concensus is on transmission fluid / filter changes on this truck. I am back in a raptor from a cummins high output where I was changing fluid every 30K and fluid / filter every 60K. Given there is no dip stick on this truck and I have read multiple folks stating to "never change" I am confused as this defies the maintenance logic that is burned into my head.

My truck is a stage 2 goose tuned with TCM tuning from Winfield as well. I am experiencing zero issues in any gear / speed but want to ensure im treating this thing right as I intend to keep it for the foreseeable future. 45K miles on the clock and loving it. Any guidance appreciated.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wondering what the concensus is on transmission fluid / filter changes on this truck. I am back in a raptor from a cummins high output where I was changing fluid every 30K and fluid / filter every 60K. Given there is no dip stick on this truck and I have read multiple folks stating to "never change" I am confused as this defies the maintenance logic that is burned into my head.

My truck is a stage 2 goose tuned with TCM tuning from Winfield as well. I am experiencing zero issues in any gear / speed but want to ensure im treating this thing right as I intend to keep it for the foreseeable future. 45K miles on the clock and loving it. Any guidance appreciated.
I'd rather roll the dice and try for 500k miles before I'd trust a dealer to touch my tranny. How many miles do you expect to drive it before you trade it in?

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather roll the dice and try for 500k miles before I'd trust a dealer to touch my tranny. How many miles do you expect to drive it before you trade it in?

Is this not a fluid change I can do myself? Why are folks hesitant to do so on this specific truck? I will likely keep this for at least another 50K miles bringing me to around 100K give or take. I only ask as I have always been a preventative maintenance guy especially on major components / fluids, but this truck seems to be different.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does the manual say in terms of the amount also?

Part number for filter, fluid?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this not a fluid change I can do myself? Why are folks hesitant to do so on this specific truck? I will likely keep this for at least another 50K miles bringing me to around 100K give or take. I only ask as I have always been a preventative maintenance guy especially on major components / fluids, but this truck seems to be different.
Best to DIY, lazyass dealers want to flush instead of drain and replace filter. I won’t consider it at less than 100k, but I’m not towing in a hot climate, so ymmv.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a dipstick, just hard to get to. I changed my fluid/filter pan a while back and went with a PPE larger pan. Used the ULV fluid it calls for and got the fluid/filter on Amazon cheap enough. PPE pan was $340, fluid/filter was around $100 I think. https://ppepower.com/products/deep-...st-aluminum-ford-10r80?variant=43838501716211

Thank you, deep pan is definitely of interest. Can you send links perhaps to the fluid / filter? Any issues getting shift linkages off or anything out of the way to get to the pan itself?

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 45k miles, I don't think changing the transmission fluid will cause you any issues. If you went over 100k without changing, it could cause you problems. It is typically "flushing" fluid that moves debris in the wrong direction or wrong places. Just drain as much fluid out as you can and refill. You won't cause yourself any problems that way. Obviously, getting the fluid to the correct level will be a huge pain given the location of that dipstick.