Tire Help on 2012 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It cracks me up that anyone believes that a spacer is any different other then it does not prload the spring as in using the mid perch. The lower a arm sits 1.25 inches below stock with either the mid perch, or the spacer. This creates the same angle for the axle either way. If one was going to screw up the axle thay both would. Now I have reviewed several people stating the adjustment or the spacers created a problem. On as close an examination as I could make of the pictures the damage is more likely caused by using 4wd on hard packed ground, cement, or pavement. This would cause the wear exhibited in the pictures. I have been doing this a lot of years, probably more than most of you have been alive. If the angle created is the same either way then you would see the same wear with or without a spacer versus preloading the spring.. Geometry people simple geometry...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2012 on top perch and aftermarket upper control arms caused the damage to both cv joints. It was not caused by driving in 4wd on a hard surface.

-Greg

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 2012 on top perch and aftermarket upper control arms caused the damage to both cv joints. It was not caused by driving in 4wd on a hard surface.

-Greg
Thats because you created more of an angle and when you lock it in 4wd geometry takes overr and says hell no.... So you have to watch the geometry... a 35 degree angle is a 35 degree angle mid perch or spacer... Top perch creates a 50 degree angle so your results are not odd of course something has to give in these trucks the cv joint is a weak link...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats because you created more of an angle and when you lock it in 4wd geometry takes overr and says hell no.... So you have to watch the geometry... a 35 degree angle is a 35 degree angle mid perch or spacer... Top perch creates a 50 degree angle so your results are not odd of course something has to give in these trucks the cv joint is a weak link...

Which is true.. Being on top perch WAS NOT an issue with Raptors until 2012 and the addition of the torsen. There are several FRF members with 2010-2011 Raptors on top perch that never had issues with CV joints. My 2011 was on top and not even a torn boot or issue up till the day I sold it. My 2012 on top lasted 5000 miles till first torn boot, 7000 miles clicking cv 15000 both cv joints bad.

The only difference between trucks 2011 scab with no torsen, 2012 screw with torsen.

-Greg