Tire Help on 2012 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys...I realize many of you will probably be rolling your eyes at my question...but since the Raptor I ordered will be used as my primary commuter vehicle (which means paved road, 40 miles a day), I would like to go with a quieter tire, more of a "street" look, which offers perhaps a slight mileage advantage, but still looks good on the truck (perhaps a little wider). I would also like a new wheel... Any helpful suggestion....P.S. Feel free to give me "crap" for a non-off-road application...
Before buying tires give the factory set a try. They are quiet, handle well and do a respectable job off road. Ford did a pretty good job with tire selection.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A little info goes along way. Stock are + 36 and dont stixk out on a 8.5 inch wode wheels. Your not going to safely put a 35X12.50X17 on a stock wheel it is not recommended. They can and do pop off because of the width. I have 0 offset dropstars and 35X12.50X20 9 inch wide wheels Nitto Terra grappler M/T and do touch in a couple spots while turning with suspension articulating. I have a 1.25 spacer which equates to the middle perch adjustment. These do stick beyond the fenders about 1/2 inch. Downside the truck is still wider with these and no longer fits in the car wash or most alignment machines. So in the long run yes there is too wide. I have ordered 6 replacements with +18mm offset to help get them back in a little bit.

Attachments

• 2012-09-19_09-14-54_84.jpg
    2012-09-19_09-14-54_84.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 2012-09-19_09-14-18_449.jpg
    2012-09-19_09-14-18_449.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course you can mount 35x12.5X17 on a 8.5 rim or stock rim that's what comes from the factory.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actual I think its 34.4 high, and the 12.4 is the width so 0.1 inst going to make your tire pop off.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A little info goes along way. Stock are + 36 and dont stixk out on a 8.5 inch wode wheels. Your not going to safely put a 35X12.50X17 on a stock wheel it is not recommended. They can and do pop off because of the width. I have 0 offset dropstars and 35X12.50X20 9 inch wide wheels Nitto Terra grappler M/T and do touch in a couple spots while turning with suspension articulating. I have a 1.25 spacer which equates to the middle perch adjustment. These do stick beyond the fenders about 1/2 inch. Downside the truck is still wider with these and no longer fits in the car wash or most alignment machines. So in the long run yes there is too wide. I have ordered 6 replacements with +18mm offset to help get them back in a little bit.

Just to clarify, those tires are the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T not the Terra Grappler.

Saber22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a set of BFG KM2s for my 2010 for oem stock rims and they look great and ride very nice. Just enough ride noise to let you know they are there. Havent been off road yet but I will soon and see how they perform. Did some research and all was good with the reviews. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the advice...it is unbelievable how many different tires/wheels there are available when a person starts shopping around...my Wife complains about me getting new wheels/tires for a brand new truck...I tell her its no different than her buying new shoes...then having to buy a new purse, dress, jewelry to match them!! Thanks again...

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do not design or build tires those are the college kids that do that. So when you order tires and the college kid that designs the tire says not recommended on wheels with a less than 9 inch width, you have to believe tham. Unless of course your his teacher and know more about it and can say you bet your life and the life of the others in the truck running a narrower than recommended tire will not end in disaster. By all means please play you bet your life, me and my family follow directions... Thats 20 years of not following dorections talking....

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Just to clarify, those tires are the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T not the Terra Grappler.
I dont know for sure trucks in LA right now so I cant look and see exactly how its worded... I dont understand how I can get 17MPG on the freeway and yet my wife can only manage 12MPG, and then ******* at me.... :laughing1:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont know for sure trucks in LA right now so I cant look and see exactly how its worded... I dont understand how I can get 17MPG on the freeway and yet my wife can only manage 12MPG, and then ******* at me.... :laughing1:

The Terra Grapplers are an all-terrain tire and the Trail Grapplers are a mud-terrain. I can tell from looking at your pictures that you have Trail Grapplers 'cause I have them on my truck too haha

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
If you look at the specs of the tire it will give you the appropriate rim width range. 8.5" wide rim is the minimum width required to run a 12.5 wide tire.