The Fast Lane Truck 2017 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, the 3.5 Ecoboost has lag. There are some high end hot in vee designs like the M177 Amg 4.0L, the new flat 6 base Carrera, and probably ones like the 3.9L Ferrari that have almost linear response. But the Ecoboost is about average as far as factory turbo engines go, you're probably just used to it by now.

Take an ecoboost at part or off throttle and give it full, you wait a half step for it to light. A good naturally aspirated engine gives you everything it has instantly. It's a budget performance engine and does well for what it is though.

im sorry but they do not. the only lag i ever experience is due to the computer and thats it. i have my fair share of performance vehicles.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude, the 3.5 Ecoboost has lag. There are some high end hot in vee designs like the M177 Amg 4.0L, the new flat 6 base Carrera, and probably ones like the 3.9L Ferrari that have almost linear response. But the Ecoboost is about average as far as factory turbo engines go, you're probably just used to it by now.

Take an ecoboost at part or off throttle and give it full, you wait a half step for it to light. A good naturally aspirated engine gives you everything it has instantly. It's a budget performance engine and does well for what it is though.

Nope.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sorry but they do not. the only lag i ever experience is due to the computer and thats it. i have my fair share of performance vehicles.
Haha I see. Ya I'm not sure why MB, BMW, Porsche, McLaren etc struggle to reduce lag to nearly imperceptible levels in six figure cars but Ford nailed it in the F150.

It's not even an argument man, the engine is decent but lag free it is not. I have more than one 3.5L at my business and they have much more lag than the 5.5L TT in my E63, which also has lag. We both like the engine but let's be real.

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I see. Ya I'm not sure why MB, BMW, Porsche, McLaren etc struggle to reduce lag to nearly imperceptible levels in six figure cars but Ford nailed it in the F150.

It's not even an argument man, the engine is decent but lag free it is not. I have more than one 3.5L at my business and they have much more lag than the 5.5L TT in my E63, which also has lag. We both like the engine but let's be real.

like i said, the only "lag" is from the computer. if im going from a stop with my sho it lights of nearly instantly, the only pause is the computer, its not the turbos. just like if your just cruising and stomp it, only pause i get is from the computer.

the 3.5 eco has tiny turbos, of course they light off easy and fast.
my twin turbo corvette has no lag as well...

what people are failing to see with this new engine is it comes BUILT from the factory, it comes BOOSTED from the factory. with just a little TUNE the thing is going to be nasty...
everyone is bitching about their v8.. yes they SOUND better but that is it you will never match the performance of the ecoboost UNLESS you strap and set of $15k turbos to it or a $8k whipple. with the ecoboost you get a boosted engine from the factory ready to be turned up no factory v8 ford produces will give you that.

Last edited:

Miker397

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nature of turbos means there is always lag unless they are being kept spinning full speed always. It's just a degree of how much and how much you notice it. The other issue, past lag, is the turbo surge of power vs the linear NA curveor even supercharger curve. I have a jag xfr and it's perceived power curve is stunningly flat and brutally instant. I don't expect any turbo engine to be able to drive so smoothly (and predictably) at a rapid pace on the road or track.

I think a bigger issue these days is too many gears, and trying to drive in auto mode and drop three gears for a pass can be annoying in many cars. i understand it is for fuel economy as well but am thankful the raptor allows you to lock out top gears as you see fit.

Last edited:

stealthfrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nature of turbos means there is always lag unless they are being kept spinning full speed always. It's just a degree of how much and how much you notice it. The other issue, past lag, is the turbo surge of power vs the linear NA curveor even supercharger curve. I have a jag xfr and it's perceived power curve is stunningly flat and brutally instant. I don't expect any turbo engine to be able to drive so smoothly (and predictably) at a rapid pace on the road or track.

I think a bigger issue these days is too many gears, and trying to drive in auto mode and drop three gears for a pass can be annoying in many cars. i understand it is for fuel economy as well but am thankful the raptor allows you to lock out top gears as you see fit.

from what it sounds like from the videos on the raptor is at WOT the truck will be able to skip gears and not always use all 10. so thats the best of both worlds. better economy but also a computer they cuts down on all the shifting.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
from what it sounds like from the videos on the raptor is at WOT the truck will be able to skip gears and not always use all 10. so thats the best of both worlds. better economy but also a computer they cuts down on all the shifting.
Correct but it will also do it not just at WOT. It will go from like 1-3-5-7-10 for example. (source is rep who drove it)

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's not even an argument man, the engine is decent but lag free it is not.

Agreed

Tesla > supercharged > turbocharged

All turbos have lag, it's the nature of the beast

Its not a matter of agree to disagree, it simple engineering

Take a Roush F150 vs the Raptor, the Roush will have noticeably less lag at go than the Raptor due to the SC vs TT