The Differing Modes of the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want you can use both 4WD and the locker on at the same time.

I use 4-Hi when we're driving in tight twisty soft stuff so the front wheels help keep traction and do some pulling around the curves. When it's more open terrain I'll run 2WD with the locker on and then I can slide the Raptor (kind of an oversteer) rear end around the turns doing more steering with the skinny/go pedal.

Well its plain to see, from one Dan to another, I need to get out there with you and Mark and the other locals and get some learn'in! LOL

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's great to get together with other Raptor owners on the trails. We know how to have a good time.

I hope you'll all come out next weekend to Afton Canyon and next month on our two trips (Death Valley and the one on the weekend of the 16th).

augustus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread! I think I am less confused than before.... Maybe more! Just kidding guys! This thread is very helpful to me since I'm not just new to the Raptor, but also to real off road driving. I was just blowing through the desert in normal mode as I felt it was prolly the safest since I didn't know what any of the modes actually did. Later in the day I did hit the off road mode button and traction control (once). And holy smokes! **** just got real! More "testing" of the modes to come this weekend! Thanks for taking time to 'splain.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
dont quite get the rear locker, thought U could run at HI speeds with locker on? cant seem to get my truck to do that. switches off at 20 mph?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should be able to lock the rear and have it stay locked. You *might* have to be in Off Road Mode to keep it locked, but I'm not sure about that. I'll test later today.

But if you hit your Off Road mode button to enable it, then lock the rear, then it unlocks automatically at 20mph there's something wrong. Take it to a dealer and get 'er fixed up. You should be able to lock it and keep it locked all the way up to the MPH limiter.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out he has a 2011 CC so Ford may have changed the programming in the PCM the controls rear diff lock up.

sent from ...... I don't know where I am.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I will try today, want 2HI locker on? engage off road mode and locker switch and roll.