The Differing Modes of the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
As soon as I get off the pavement I press the "Off Road Mode" button. This changes the throttle response, brake feel, trans shifting and most importantly lowers the sesitivity of the airbag system. If I'm going to be driving around in the dirt for more than a couple hours I will get out and air down to 25psi in the rear and 30psi in the front. Having driven with both full psi and aired down the ride is much better aired down.

When the nannies start to get in the way (Advanced Trac Icon flashes) then I press and hold the Ad Trac button until the icon flases in the heads up display.

If I'm in sand I usually put the locker on...which turns all the nannies on again. So then I press and hold the Ad Trac button until the icon flashes on the heads-up display.

If the trail is sandy or loose and narrow I put it in 4 hi to pull through the turns and not get so much movement in the rear. If you have the rear locked you can still break out the rear just not as easily as in 2wd locked. Again when switching from 2wd to 4HI or 4HI to 2wd the nannies are turned back on and you need to hold the button again until the icon flashes.

A lot of my driving now in done in Off Road mode in 2wd with the Advanced Trac off until traction looks like it may be an issue then I put it in 4HI with nannies off. I save the locker for high speed washes and slow situations where I need power to both wheels...like rocky situations.

The important thing to remember is everytime you switch modes the nannies are all on. If you think they are all off and they interupt you driving experience then hold the button down until the icons in the screne change. When my tires are aired down and I have the low tire pressure icon it makes it difficult to tell if the Ad Trac is off so I will go through the procedure a couple times to make sure.

I know it's a pain but the extra few seconds is well worth it to me. As Falcon said the key to the Raptor isn't te suspension it's the electronic do-dads Ford gave us that you couldn't replicate on any truck. Try driving hard with and without the Off Roade Mode on and you will definitely see the difference.

Fido

Reaction score
Even with Advance Trac push/held, off road mode on (or not), in 2hi and 4hi my truck still pulls back power on long four wheel drifts. Not as bad as with 1push of A. T., but it still does not let me have total old fashioned control.

Trailer sway control will also pull back power if fishtailing, even w/o a trailer. Turn off by pressing intrument panel stem, cycle to HOLD FOR SYSTEM RESET, cycle to TRAILER SWAY, cycle to OFF. This seems to have to be done at each startup, I don't know if it gets reset with the other traction control on/off stuff.

I tried the peas trick, took the truck for a spin, all I got accomplished was whirled pease.

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with Advance Trac push/held, off road mode on (or not), in 2hi and 4hi my truck still pulls back power on long four wheel drifts. Not as bad as with 1push of A. T., but it still does not let me have total old fashioned control.

Trailer sway control will also pull back power if fishtailing, even w/o a trailer. Turn off by pressing intrument panel stem, cycle to HOLD FOR SYSTEM RESET, cycle to TRAILER SWAY, cycle to OFF. This seems to have to be done at each startup, I don't know if it gets reset with the other traction control on/off stuff.

I tried the peas trick, took the truck for a spin, all I got accomplished was whirled pease.

Thanks go out to MMD, Brian and everybody else who made an input! THIS is the conversation I wanted to have on the Off Road capabilities of our Trucks, and I personally have been helped a lot by it. Thanks again!

Interesting point about Trailer Sway Control, Fido. That system was one of the things that impressed me the most about Ford's new Electronic Stability Control systems, but I never considered how you "turn it on"... or OFF!

Here is a great vid from Ford that explains it very well. Things to notice... he says that it is Automatically engaged, but it can be disabled thru the stem cycles as Fido points out. Also, notice the comments about it rolling back engine power, and full control of selective braking. As I pointed out in another post, the TSC (Trailer Sway Control) system is deeply integrated with the Advance Trak and RSC (Roll Stability Control) systems. It uses a system of Gyroscopes and accelerometers - polled over a 100 times a second - to control trailer sway. Our beast monitors what IT is doing... if it feels force that is causing it to Roll and sway, and probably if it notices that a trailer is plugged into the lighting/braking system... it automatically takes measures to control the trailer. No doubt this system has already saved many lives, and will continue to do so. BUT it effectively defeats sport mode driving, so it must be disabled on our trucks except when actually pulling a trailer.

The only questions I have from the video is where he says that some vehicles can disable it thru the advance track button... is that the Raptor? And is the TSC always active even if there is no trailer attached? Does the Truck actually poll the electrical connectors to determine if a trailer is attached, and thereby TSC needs to be active? Hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqpTAvv4EU&NR=1

Falcon

P.S. Fido... I know what ya mean about whirled peas... I like ta never found mine again! <G>

AND I just love it when Ford sticks it up Dodge and Chevy's backside <G>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEyI6rmvqg&feature=player_embedded#!

OP
OP
Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks go out to MMD, Brian and everybody else who made an input! THIS is the conversation I wanted to have on the Off Road capabilities of our Trucks, and I personally have been helped a lot by it. Thanks again!

Interesting point about Trailer Sway Control, Fido. That system was one of the things that impressed me the most about Ford's new Electronic Stability Control systems, but I never considered how you "turn it on"... or OFF!

Here is a great vid from Ford that explains it very well. Things to notice... he says that it is Automatically engaged, but it can be disabled thru the stem cycles as Fido points out. Also, notice the comments about it rolling back engine power, and full control of selective braking. As I pointed out in another post, the TSC (Trailer Sway Control) system is deeply integrated with the Advance Trak and RSC (Roll Stability Control) systems. It uses a system of Gyroscopes and accelerometers - polled over a 100 times a second - to control trailer sway. Our beast monitors what IT is doing... if it feels force that is causing it to Roll and sway, and probably if it notices that a trailer is plugged into the lighting/braking system... it automatically takes measures to control the trailer. No doubt this system has already saved many lives, and will continue to do so. BUT it effectively defeats sport mode driving, so it must be disabled on our trucks except when actually pulling a trailer.

The only questions I have from the video is where he says that some vehicles can disable it thru the advance track button... is that the Raptor? And is the TSC always active even if there is no trailer attached? Does the Truck actually poll the electrical connectors to determine if a trailer is attached, and thereby TSC needs to be active? Hmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqpTAvv4EU&NR=1

Falcon

P.S. Fido... I know what ya mean about whirled peas... I like ta never found mine again! <G>

AND I just love it when Ford sticks it up Dodge and Chevy's backside <G>.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJEyI6rmvqg&feature=player_embedded#!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found this on another site. Disclaimer: I did not check this to verify that it is (or is not) the text in our Owners Manual.

Trailer Sway Control

Your vehicle may be equipped with trailer sway control. When properly equipped, trailer sway control will use the vehicle’s AdvanceTrac(r) with RSC(r) system to detect and help reduce trailer sway by applying brake force at individual wheels and, if necessary, by reducing engine power.

WARNING: Trailer sway control does not prevent a trailer from swaying, it mitigates the sway from increasing once it has occurred. If you are experiencing trailer sway it is likely that the trailer is improperly loaded for the correct tongue weight or the speed of the vehicle and trailer is too high. Pull the vehicle-trailer over to a safe location to check the trailer weight distribution and tongue load and reduce speed to a safe level while towing. If trailer sway is experienced, SLOW DOWN.

During Trailer Sway Control events the skidding car icon in the instrument cluster will flash momentarily. The message center will also display TRAILER SWAY REDUCE SPEED. In some cases when trailer sway is detected, the vehicle speed is too high and may be above a speed at which trailer sway will not grow continuously. This may cause the system to activate multiple times, causing a gradual reduction in speed.

Note: The trailer sway control will only activate at speeds greater than 40 mph (64 km/h).

Disabling Trailer Sway Control

Trailer sway control can be disabled during any key cycle. See Trailer Sway Control under the Message center in the Driver Controls chapter.

Note that regardless of chosen enable state, Trailer Sway Control will be re-enabled at each new key cycle.

WARNING: Turning off Trailer Sway Control increases the risk of loss of vehicle control, serious injury, or death. Ford does not recommend disabling this feature except in situations where speed reduction may be detrimental (e.g., hill climbing), the driver has significant trailer towing experience, and can control trailer sway and maintain safe operation.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is from the thread I linked to above

advancetrac.jpg

TCS = Traction Control System; functions to help avoid drive-wheel spin and loss of traction.
ECS = Electronic stability control; functions to help avoid skids or lateral slides.
RSC = Roll Stability Control; functions to help avoid a vehicle roll-over.

The Raptor supplement points back to the manual (and this chart), so I think we can assume it applies to our trucks as well.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is one thing I'd like Ford to change.

Driving with a "single press" in off road mode should disable the trailer sway control but it doesn't. You have to do the "press and hold" or turn off the TSC using the message center *every* time you turn the key on.

"Single press" driving is a lot of fun and I'd highly recommend using it off road for the less-experienced and sometimes even for the more experienced. It can save your butt. The only problem is if the truck "sways" in just the right way, the trailer sway kicks in and slows you down.

So for a little safer time... off road mode, single press (without holding) the advance trac button, and manually turn off the Trailer Sway in the message center.

(If you still have time left, drive)

Repeat every time the key is turned off.