So where is the cold air coming from on a GEN 2??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bullishone

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I figured it went like this19f90465d265732388b7c4f9677c0919.jpg
Yeah until you look at how the hood closes over top of the opening. Doesn't seem like much room for any air, which makes me think just a simple open CAI would work okay on this truck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

darkneo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah until you look at how the hood closes over top of the opening. Doesn't seem like much room for any air, which makes me think just a simple open CAI would work okay on this truck.

Pretty weird then. The AFE Momentum intakes replace that vent tubing, so it must be getting air. The Roush one uses the stock vent, and it's top is open, but creates a seal with the hood when closed.

OP
OP
Bullishone

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty weird then. The AFE Momentum intakes replace that vent tubing, so it must be getting air. The Roush one uses the stock vent, and it's top is open, but creates a seal with the hood when closed.
Yeah I don't get the science here. Seems like the best option might be the Stage 2 from aFe. Anyways....expensive but I ordered it ... Will do a video review later.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have wondered this also... looks like a Ram Air Hood should tie into this intake somewhere...

How long until ARB makes a snorkel for the Gen 2 :)

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a standard air box. If you want a cai it will look like this.

bf6878018c59e5a63e65d1e169579c00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like that would suck hot engine air...?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I just flipped open my hood to see how the new aFe would install.. I just realized that the factory intake isn't actually taking in cold air from anywhere. It's really weird, there's a vent going to the hood, but that part of the hood is solid.

I don't get it. I thought people were saying these engines don't like heat.

How exactly is this thing getting any air with this current setup? Anyone?

I took a look last night and I see your point but don't believe that it is totally sealed off. If that were the case there would be no air getting in and that wouldn't work. Although the opening may not be as large as it would appear from the scoop, air is getting in there.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just flipped open my hood to see how the new aFe would install.. I just realized that the factory intake isn't actually taking in cold air from anywhere. It's really weird, there's a vent going to the hood, but that part of the hood is solid.

I don't get it. I thought people were saying these engines don't like heat.

How exactly is this thing getting any air with this current setup? Anyone?

Check this vid for the Roush CAI...the front intake inlet goes downward into the airbox...check at 0:51 for the stock intake removal which shows the connection, as well as the CAD drawing of the Roush CAI box at 0:56 that shows the inlet/airflow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjelmYTDxqU