Rough Idle & Knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashx

Reaction score
On Monday my Raptor started to idle low and near stall while waiting at a red light. I put the vehicle in neutral and revved the engine and that seemed to keep it going. When the light turned green the engine started to knock and the rough idle persisted for the rest of my 2 mile drive home. Today everything seemed normal. I'm taking it in for service tomorrow. Anyone experience rough idle/engine knock? I have 50K miles on my 18 Raptor and it runs on 93 octane fuel.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Stock or aftermarket tune?
I’d pull codes if possible but since it’s going in the shop tomorrow, they should be able to see if anything was stored.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I know it's dumb, but I've had a few occasions for my 18 to do some crazy things that a simple restart fixes and never returns. If it was me, I would spare myself the heartache of a dealer experience unless it happens again. It's a rolling computer after all.

It's part of the Raptor mystique.

$.02

Stang2

Reaction score
My 2018, all stock and only high octane with routine oil change every 5k miles. Cam Sensor recall...when the dealership went to replace the sensors they found a hole in what I call the flywheel. Metal shavings throughout. Ford approved a new long block yesterday.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
I thought the issue had worked itself out as the truck has been running fine. Tonight as I pulled into the garage, the RPM's dropped low and near stall, I could hear a ticking noise from the engine. My guess is the issue is going to go away when I take it in to dealer. Sigh.

Last edited: