Raptor broken into- alarm never sounded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this past Saturday, wifey was at restaurant for lunch parked right in front. Apparently, somebody too a large regular screwdriver, smashed in the door lock on driver side and got into vehicle. Absolutely nothing taken and no damage other then to door lock and black handle panel which is being replaced as I type. Cop said they were most likely looking for a weapon, which we agree with. Took center console tray out, placed on seat...and left when he found nothing. Left coins, wheel lock and everything else in there. Odd!

Bigger concern is that alarm never sounded. It was set. So my question is 1, why didn't alarm sound (factory) and 2, what is best, discrete aftermarket system that will help deter this in future? Any special devices to protect locks from this happening again?

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wow, that sucks. what I recommend is not to worry about exterior audbile as everyone ignores that anyways. What I do is have a remote warning (iphone app, beeper, whatever) to let you know, and then on the inside i'd put 2 or 4 Piezo sirens that blast at about 140 decibles and will cause your thief to go deaf if he's in there for more than 15 seconds.

Gilligan

Reaction score
wow, that sucks. what I recommend is not to worry about exterior audbile as everyone ignores that anyways. What I do is have a remote warning (iphone app, beeper, whatever) to let you know, and then on the inside i'd put 2 or 4 Piezo sirens that blast at about 140 decibles and will cause your thief to go deaf if he's in there for more than 15 seconds.

talk to thecarstereocompany no matter what kind of alarm you go with, but as far as alarms with loud horns and crazy stuff like that he is def the guy to talk with.

Pretty sure if you cut his light bar wires it'll set off his airhorn(s) among other things lol

RaptorRaider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Viper 550 alarm on my previous vehicle. Had A Remote PAGER that displayed my car, and where the intruder would be entering from. Had proximity sensors installed as well. I literally had a 40 minute class in college, came out and my car was broken into with stereo stolen.
I don't know how much that helps, but that's my own experience with a pager style car alarm.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most people react to break ins by going and buying alarms that don't do shit. If a thief wants in or your shit, they'll take it. Sad fact. Insure the **** out of it and don't worry. As others stated alarms are only a scare tactic for a would be thief. Pros no how to get around it all.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no matter what you do, someone can and will enter your vehicle if they are determined enough. however making it as difficult as possible for them is the best way to secure your truck. believe it or not, the flashing led will deter most theft since the whole point is to get in and not be seen. most would be thieves will see the light and move on. why your oem system didnt make any noise is still in question, but i have seen where a woman will leave her keys in her purse, or a guy will leave them in their pocket and accidentally press buttons and potentially unlocking the vehicle.

i have taken my system a step farther and connected it to my train horn so if you try to steal my lights, break a window, open a door, or open my tailgate, a vary loud train horn will start making lots of noise. enough to scare the shit out of my whole neighborhood. and with gps tracking on a different power source and in a hidden location with a 10 day backup battery, even if my truck is stolen, i will know where it is. the paging remotes have a certain distance they will work. depending on radio interference, walls, and buildings, that signal can be dimished by half or more. the smartphone app works great when not in range of the remote. as long as you have cell signal, you will know the status of your truck. you may be too far to do anything about it, but knowing whats going on and possibly returning to your vehicle before the thief has left and stop the theft in progress is better than not knowing at all.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This same exact situation happened in my Hummer H2 last year. Factory alarm did not go off either.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
american car alarms suck they really are just an automated way to lock your doors or tell you if you hit the panic button on your key fob