Raptor Assault.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang I need to sign up for this. Sounds like I could learn a lot as this is my first Raptor and really my first 4wd truck.

Good info

Tim182d

Reaction score
Attended last week. I have a bit of off road experience but it was still a great experience...gained a lot of respect for these trucks. Also put just under 2K highway miles on my own Raptor getting there and back. I continue to be amazed at the on-road comfort of the truck...got 17.5-18 mpg until we hit a strong headwind the last 750-mile leg. MPG dropped to 16.5 with a 30-40 MPG headwind and large load in the bed.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor Assault Review:
....On the concrete course you get the truck at 30 deg side hill and it is still solid, guy may even pull on it to show you how solid/tip resistant it is at that angle. Really cool. Couldn't get the answer on roughly what sidehill angle it rolls at.

35, more or less. Depends on terrain obviously

They have the tuck that ran the BAJA on the showroom. It's beat up, but it actually had the 2.7 L Eco in it. I didn't know that, always thought the 3.5L. Then it's interesting to see the spare parts they carried and the condition of the exhaust....

As far as I'm aware, Ford has run 3 trucks through the Baja 1000 in the last decade. The first gen raptor (2010?) the one you saw, (part of the ecoboost/alum body torture test), and the 2nd gen raptor. If you haven't seen ford's video on the ecoboost torture engine teardown, you should.

Trucks were ran at 27-28 psig tire pressure. When asking their opinion they referred to liability and said door was 38. Then said the best pverall hwy ride was 37-38 in the front and then 5 less in the rear and/or add 200 lbs to the bed....with saying you see what we ran at all day and how it performed...

Running 38 up front and 33 in the back currently per their recommendations...think it is the ideal setup. No MPG loss but definitely a bit more traction. They did say tire pressures fluctuated 6 or so psi just from temperatures, so some classes might have been closer to 22 and others closer to 32.

Recommendations - try to find a truck at the same package as yours. I got a lesser series than 802A....a number of things were different, not horrible, but would've been better if I had another 802A. It sounded like they had a few.

Also, some trucks have the FP exhaust, and others don't. We got an 802a, but I noticed the metallic paint and the usb charger setup was different than on mine (my friend Matt said it was different from his truck too, but apparently his grey interior paint was different than mine and the RA truck).

Don't try to leave the same day. I came in the day of reception and left the day after the class. The altitude difference along with a number of things...get a good rest the night before and you'll likely be tired after the course so instead of fighting the airport, traffic, etc. just head out the next day.

Both Matt and I flew out, granted I only had a 2.5 hour flight, but it wasn't too bad. I'd say personal preference here.

Learned more about Left foot braking and control, had been doing it, but more so out of feel, not technical knowledge. Works well in a number of instances, but they 'pushed' it during rock crawl mode

*Also 'learned/confirmed' right foot resistance. They said in the class to try and always have your heel/top of your foot against the transmission sidewall with side pressure as this does a few things: minimizes throttle accidental 'bounce' when going over bumpy terrain, hit a good bump right foot more likely to bounce up and come back down on throttle and in turn gives you more control. Hadn't thought about it that way, but tried there's and maybe I need a bigger foot/throttle or need to be more comfortable angling my foot. Either way realized what I actually have done is push my knee/calf into the transmission sidewall to help. More comfortable for me.

Yeah they really pushed left foot braking in the rock crawl. I've always done it in many cases, especially for baja or descents, but it really messed me up crawling uphill. Much prefer a smooth and steady throttle when going up, with left foot ready on brake if needed to smooth things out.

I didn't get the right foot stuff at all. I tried doing what they said and I couldn't make it work at all. Messed me up big time, no benefit at all (to me). I guess if you don't have good control of your throttle or you want to be lazy it could help, but as you mentioned my foot didn't seem big enough.