Raptor and Wrangler drug into water by boat...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So did they try and use one of the vehicles, and that sank they tried the other, or did they try and pull it out with both at the same time?

And is the boat really totaled? I know little about boats, but figure the majority of it is waterproof...being a boat and all. I can see damage to electrical systems, perhaps the motor, but the whole thing?

JJOcean

Reaction score
So did they try and use one of the vehicles, and that sank they tried the other, or did they try and pull it out with both at the same time?

And is the boat really totaled? I know little about boats, but figure the majority of it is waterproof...being a boat and all. I can see damage to electrical systems, perhaps the motor, but the whole thing?

The electronics and engine components are virtually no different than a car. It will get totaled out, but will still have value. Replace all the electronics, most of the wiring and an engine rebuild. The boat is a high-end Pavati wake surf boat ... aluminum boat and the 26' model (what it looks like) is in the $270K range. On the wake boat forums he supposedly didn't put the plug in, panicked and hastily hooked up the other 2 cars to try and save it. I'm guessing he probably also f'ed up by having the back transom straps still attached to the trailer, didn't have the raptor/jeep in 4 wheel drive, trailer lifted both rears off the ground and pulled them in to. Complete shit show!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t understand how this happened at all unless they just inadvertently used “D” instead or “R” lol!!? HOW!?!

Was the owner of the boat also owner of one of the “rescue” vehicles too?

alcohol was involved fo sho

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The electronics and engine components are virtually no different than a car. It will get totaled out, but will still have value. Replace all the electronics, most of the wiring and an engine rebuild. The boat is a high-end Pavati wake surf boat ... aluminum boat and the 26' model (what it looks like) is in the $270K range. On the wake boat forums he supposedly didn't put the plug in, panicked and hastily hooked up the other 2 cars to try and save it. I'm guessing he probably also f'ed up by having the back transom straps still attached to the trailer, didn't have the raptor/jeep in 4 wheel drive, trailer lifted both rears off the ground and pulled them in to. Complete shit show!

Fact that the guy chose a Pavati for a wake boat then drowned a raptor & custom wrangler actually makes a lot of sense. More $$$ than brains. WTF I need an AL boat or why would I care? Fiberglass/composite floats too & doesn’t get hot. Malibu/mastercraft owners remember to put the plug in bahahahahahhahaha

JJOcean

Reaction score
Don’t understand how this happened at all unless they just inadvertently used “D” instead or “R” lol!!? HOW!?!

Was the owner of the boat also owner of one of the “rescue” vehicles too?

alcohol was involved fo sho

Not enough people talk about how this happens. I say that with tongue in cheek because what this guy did was exceptional ... a boat and 2 cars! You have to work hard to do that. Usually it is just a truck that gets dragged in and the boat is fine.

Here is how it happens. Owner forgets to take the trailer transom straps off the back of the boat. Backs it down in the water and since the back of the boat is still attached to the trailer, the boat lifts the trailer off the ground, and eventually the boat/trailer combo lifts the rear wheels of the truck off the ground via the trailer hitch (or at least a significant amount of weight off the rear tires preventing traction). Driver panics and tries to pull the truck back up the ramp, but since the rear wheels are partially or completely off the ground they just spin and everything just rolls down the ramp into the water. The bigger the boat - the easier it does this.

You prevent this by always triple checking that your transom straps are off (just as important as drain plug being in) AND if you have a 4x4, put it in 4 wheel drive before you back down the ramp. Even if you're an idiot and forgot the transom straps, the front wheels in 4x4 mode will pull everything back up the ramp.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost ****** up putting the boat in last year. My old man was giving me a ration of crap when I was preparing to launch on the ramp. I removed all straps and slacked the winch cable slightly on the bow, manual winch and a roller trailer. When I put the truck in reverse and started to back the trailer onto the ramp I heard the winch running out, while distracted I hadn’t relatched the winch lock after slacking the cable so the boat was unloading whether I liked it or not. I accelerated in reverse and beat the self unloading boat to the water and nothing was damaged, if I’d planned it that way it would’ve looked awesome but I got very lucky that it was high tide so the ramp length was short.

This guy should’ve just picked up the boat with his chopper like in Apocalypse Now.

Small Town Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of us who own boats will eventually succumb to a boat ramp brain fart.

I keep mine in a slip at a marina for the summer, then pull it out for winter storage.

Last year I forgot to tilt the outdrive up. Free skeg modification :)

ghost410

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposedly how this happened is they were out in the boat and hit something. The boat began to sink so they got as close to shore and hooked the jeeps winch up to try to save it. The boat began pulling the Jeep in so they hooked the raptor to the Jeep to try to anchor it more. Both ended up in the drink

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Supposedly how this happened is they were out in the boat and hit something. The boat began to sink so they got as close to shore and hooked the jeeps winch up to try to save it. The boat began pulling the Jeep in so they hooked the raptor to the Jeep to try to anchor it more. Both ended up in the drink

I find it increasingly amusing w/ the boat being a Pavati as I scratched my head @ boat show as to why, exactly, they were trying to command so much more $$$ than a comparable Malibu or Mastercraft as I mentioned....so its made of AL, so what? Seems like it'd be hot as hell on every surface out in the middle of a lake AND I questioned the gauge of AL they built it out of too - apparently for good reason.

Pavati is fairly new right? Hadn't hear of em before last few years