Obvious statement: 5.0 versus 3.5 Ecoboost HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, a GT350 nor GT is going to hole shot a properly driven C7 unless the Ford's are modded with drag slicks. Anyway, we all digress.

So, got my Raptor back and I was getting more used to the 5.0, it is a strong engine at higher rpm, but still think it's pretty flat in the low/mid range. I did notice my Raptor felt fairly lethargic leaving the dealer at lower throttle openings, but then I realized I had disconnected my Banks Pedal Monster from the OBD2 port and hidden it while the truck was in for service in case they needed to access the OBD2 port. I've gotten so used to running the Pedal Monster and it's very quick and linear response with not as much throttle input, that it feels so much more responsive. Need to plug that back in ASAP when I leave work today.

Anyway, thread feels more lame now since I started it. The 5.0 is good, however I think the 3.5HO is a bit better for overall power delivery. But, as with any engine, you need to drive to it's strengths. If you're always shifting under 5,000rpm in a Honda S2000, you'll think it sucks, because it lives in the 5,000 to 9,000 range. Same with the GT3, etc. So, the 5.0, for real power, you just need to rev it up. Engine seems pretty happy doing it, so no biggie.

Would have been an interesting comparison with the banks pedal monster in the 5.0 as well. Though that would be a fun conversation regarding “modding” a loaner lol.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 5.0L in my 19 Mustang GT. It’s a fantastic engine but it must rev to make any power. Completely different animal over 4K after the VCT kicks in.

I love that 5L something fierce simply because it has so much character, but the Ecoboost is by far the better choice for the Raptor.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 5.0 Lariat 4x4 as a loaner once and was going to post something similar a while back. For all the talk that "V8's belong in a truck" it did not feel like a truck engine at all. It did feel like a sports car engine though as it did come alive in the higher RPM range.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't a fair comparison because the current Coyote is now the 3rd gen. and my buddy had a 2014 F150 (1st gen Coyote). But I raced him with my 2017 stock Raptor and he had a 5 Star 93 race tune. I was a little worried because of his tune but it wasn't even close. I pulled out to a few lengths out of the hole and the gap never got smaller.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude...come on man....this a troll
Job or what? Everyone welcome to their own opinion but your claim that a Mustang- GT or GT350 - is a better performer than a C7 GS is extremely suspect.

and I do think the GT350 is a fabulous car, but it’s not a 2 seat low sling purpose built light weight more powerful C7 GS

No troll here. Here are the 2 cars. I had 2 previous vettes before this one. Got rid of the vet because of back surgery. Mustang GT-NO, but GT350 yes.
IMG_2595.jpg Gina13 copy.jpg

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did drive one that’s why i was interested in it, great package- I’m not a big ford guy never have been so hadn’t really been following the mustang changes over the years that closely, did some research & saw some posts bout engines blowing & a guy I met who was bringing one to local car shows said he had some issues w/ it but “did an aftermarket fix” whatever that means. You’re probably right w/ the tranny being a regular Earlier mustang issue. At the time was debating going all in w/ my (at the time) H/C/I C5Z which is still fairly “new” only have 41k miles now. But before dumping $$$ into a supercharger build w/ a ton of other supporting/suspension mods I checked out a bunch of other stuff I was interested in. The GT350 along w/ BMW M2 competition, ZL1 camaro or SS 1Le & C7 GS Vette were all very good.....but I had a set budget & didn’t really want another payment.
Damn I thought my 57k LS6 from 2005 was low miles. I’m just headers, exhaust and a tune but the torque is instant. Its just silly to drive. The only other way to smile that much is the complete opposite, redlining my Honda Monkey. Stupid is so much fun. Doesn’t matter what flavor of stupid it is.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No troll here. Here are the 2 cars. I had 2 previous vettes before this one. Got rid of the vet because of back surgery. Mustang GT-NO, but GT350 yes.
View attachment 153479 View attachment 153480

back surgery!? Well that’s def a factor too lol- I def liked the GT350 just Was in a different mindset @ the time (realized I wanted stupid HP) & I was nervous about the durability of the engine based on forums like this one lol

I think it has one of the best factory exhaust notes around/ever- & modified exhaust sounds even better.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn I thought my 57k LS6 from 2005 was low miles. I’m just headers, exhaust and a tune but the torque is instant. Its just silly to drive. The only other way to smile that much is the complete opposite, redlining my Honda Monkey. Stupid is so much fun. Doesn’t matter what flavor of stupid it is.

lol I hear ya- I put a hurting on the motor burnt a few rings/chipped a piston “hi-flow” cats failed w/ the blower stuffed the exhaust I thought was bad gas initially all
It took was a few high rpm rips & I think that did it.

Getting it back within next 2 weeks block has been blueprinted/balanced forged + forged rotating assembly lunati crank diamond pistons etc + 3.4 pulley A&A vortec T3 + dual nozzle **** injection + ported manifold + 102mm TB got a Dewitt blower rad w/ tranny cooler & built 3.42 getrag rear, MGW billet shifter and a rebuilt TQ tube w/ new bushings channeling it w/ a McLeod RXT twin disc clutch warrantied for 1200whp - should be around 750-800whp on conservative pump gas tune On mustang dyno....

would like to add a 3rd to the stable something more refined/tame & Keep it mostly stock like an M4 or Cayman S maybe a C8 vette

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol I hear ya- I put a hurting on the motor burnt a few rings/chipped a piston “hi-flow” cats failed w/ the blower stuffed the exhaust I thought was bad gas initially all
It took was a few high rpm rips & I think that did it.

Getting it back within next 2 weeks block has been blueprinted/balanced forged + forged rotating assembly lunati crank diamond pistons etc + 3.4 pulley A&A vortec T3 + dual nozzle **** injection + ported manifold + 102mm TB got a Dewitt blower rad w/ tranny cooler & built 3.42 getrag rear, MGW billet shifter and a rebuilt TQ tube w/ new bushings channeling it w/ a McLeod RXT twin disc clutch warrantied for 1200whp - should be around 750-800whp on conservative pump gas tune On mustang dyno....

would like to add a 3rd to the stable something more refined/tame & Keep it mostly stock like an M4 or Cayman S maybe a C8 vette
You’re quite far down the rabbit-hole. Perhaps a new project will reel you in. Get it just solid with what you’ve done and start a new journey on something else. I had 5 subarus. The first 4 I got tired of because of what I did to them. The last I parted with to get my caddy. But it was a well done car. I did everything, but each thing I did was incremental and high quality. No more cheap springs, or oversized turbos, or cheap but supposedly upgraded shocks, self tuned etc. it was a masterpiece of what I learned not to do. A bunch of mild things added up to a really smooth and nice feeling car that was nothing like the hoons that were around.

Sometimes too much is indeed too much. Modding just to mod kills the character if you go balls out on every piece. That’s just what I’ve learned. This is more sharing so please don’t take it as commentary on what you’ve done to your car. Philosophical you know.