Obvious statement: 5.0 versus 3.5 Ecoboost HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropped my 2019 Raptor off for a few small things to fix at the dealer:

1. Door keypad loose (plastic clip broke apparently)
2. Sunroof stuck open (two plastic pieces broke)
3. Condensation line issue in passenger footwell (HVAC water on floorboard)

So, they gave me a brand new XLT F-150 (8 miles on the clock) loaner with the 5.0 V8. This may not be newsworthy to many, but damn it feels weak at low/mid rpm. I didn't realize how much I got used to the low/mid range torque of the 3.5 HO engine. If you're pushing down less than half to 2/3's throttle, the 5.0 engine just doesn't give you much thrust at all. Also, the engine sound is so muffled by the stock exhaust system, you can barely tell it's a V8.

Anyway, it's getting me around town fine and it's not a bad engine at all, but I'd take the Ecoboost 100 times out of 100 if given a choice.

That is all. Happy Thursday! :)

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I drove a loaner 5.0 truck a while back and I hated it. Lack of low end power drove me nuts. I expect maybe the 10 speed might help some. I drove a 6R80 truck and hated it with the 5.0. Seems to me the 5.0 is a great engine but works better in a Mustang GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Q

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I drove a loaner 5.0 truck a while back and I hated it. Lack of low end power drove me nuts. I expect maybe the 10 speed might help some. I drove a 6R80 truck and hated it with the 5.0. Seems to me the 5.0 is a great engine but works better in a Mustang GT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 10-speed isn't bad, but the programming isn't the greatest and is very soft/not aggressive. I haven't tried sport mode yet due to mechanical sympathy on an engine with less than 100 miles on it. So, you get more ratios, but it doesn't fix the much flatter feeling low/mid rpm range just cruising around town. Unless you're over 4,500rpm with this 5.0, it's not doing much of anything and who is going to be ripping around in an F-150 over 4,500rpm all the time? The low/mid grunt of the 3.5HO is dramatically better.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
well....drive a mustang gt and you wont say that. I am by no means a V8 fan boy, but Ford has the Coyote neutered in the F150 to push more Eco Boosts.
Ahhh - no
Mustang just weighs a lot less has better tranny gearing

I never seriously considered a mustang- did check out GT350 before pulling trigger on something else b/c that car is “special” as is the 5.2 voodoo....but came to find out it’s fragile as glass & Guzzles oil (oh & I guess the manual trans is spotty too) - BUT - if I could get a mustang w/ the same engine as the raptor? Man would I be interested - so much potential w/ so lil work

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahhh - no

I never seriously considered a mustang- did check out GT350 before pulling trigger on something else b/c that car is “special” as is the 5.2 voodoo....but came to find out it’s fragile as glass & Guzzles oil (oh & I guess the manual trans is spotty too) - BUT - if I could get a mustang w/ the same engine as the raptor? Man would I be interested - so much potential w/ so lil work

I would love a 3.5 EB HO mustang.

My 2015 Mustang GT, was a monster with 6 speed and 3.78 gears. That motor has plenty of power, it is just not tuned well in the truk.

OP
OP
Q

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, it's over 150 miles now so I did a full throttle run through a couple gears. It pulls good at WOT and higher rpm, actually feels pretty decent. It's just sluggish as heck at lower rpm. Oh well, can't have it all. :D

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh - no

Don't know why you skipped on the GT350. Mine hasn't used a drop of oil in 2000 miles. Earlier models did use oil, but that seems to have been taken care of. Fragile???? What other motors redline at 8500 rpm.
There were a few blow ups, but no more than other high performance engines. Tranny spotty???? The regular GT has a spotty manual trans, but the Shelby tranny is a different animal. I don't know where you get your info from. Maybe you should've driven one.
You passed up a great car.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well....drive a mustang gt and you wont say that. I am by no means a V8 fan boy, but Ford has the Coyote neutered in the F150 to push more Eco Boosts.

I’ve driven several new Mustang GT’s and would compare them to a domestic Honda S-2000 as far as the powerband goes. Very little low end or mid range power. Just my thoughts. Camaro SS on the other hand, torque on tap at low RPM.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh - no

no? you do realize there is a 65 to 85 hp difference between the 2 engines right? (depending on whether it's a GT or Bullitt) sure the mustang is lighter.. but let's not dismiss the fact that the F150 5.0 is detuned a ton.