New phasers = power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DBL7DS

Reaction score
1st. Seat track /hose clamp TSB, thanks. I may need that.

2nd @thatJeepguy is a proven member here and honestly your thoughts of "phaser =power loss" is rather ignorant of how things work.

But I get it, I deal with people all day everyday and the whole "ever since you put air in my tire my car gets 18 mpg worse" is an actual thing.

People perceive what they perceive and you can not convince them otherwise with all the facts in the world.
1. Yup, thought for sure I wasting time. It works. If the janky repair bugs you - you’ll feel better buying fancy hose clamps. I did.

2. Proven member or not - the reply had an ick of posting something just to be relevant.

Only empirical data that convinced me was when I left the car wash and didnt have to feather the throttle onto a 45mph road to avoid tires slipping.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you using to measure the temps? Just the truck itself? I know one issue people had post phasers was when they take out the thermostat they put the old one back in and it has a tendency to stick. Do you know if they put in the new one?

OP
OP
D

DBL7DS

Reaction score
what are you using to measure the temps? Just the truck itself? I know one issue people had post phasers was when they take out the thermostat they put the old one back in and it has a tendency to stick. Do you know if they put in the new one?
Truck gauges. During test drive I scrolled though videoing gauges. Did same on 5 hrs drive back after purchase for benchmark data. Did the same after phasers. Data is similar if not same.
They did replace water pump as it had a slight weep and tstat during phasers. Gonna give it a couple days after KAM reset. Originally thought chains were replaced, they were not. Been texting with tech/service writer for path forward.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck gauges. During test drive I scrolled though videoing gauges. Did same on 5 hrs drive back after purchase for benchmark data. Did the same after phasers. Data is similar if not same.
They did replace water pump as it had a slight weep and tstat during phasers. Gonna give it a couple days after KAM reset. Originally thought chains were replaced, they were not. Been texting with tech/service writer for path forward.
You said it pulls better when entering on ramps and accelerating on the highway; if the timing was off (which is about the only possible scenario) that would not be the case as it would have power loss across the board.

You bought the truck used, correct? How do you know it didn’t have a tune on it that would have been overwritten if the dealer updated the PCM?

OP
OP
D

DBL7DS

Reaction score
You said it pulls better when entering on ramps and accelerating on the highway; if the timing was off (which is about the only possible scenario) that would not be the case as it would have power loss across the board.

You bought the truck used, correct? How do you know it didn’t have a tune on it that would have been overwritten if the dealer updated the PCM?
Yes, pulls same if not better.
Could’ve had a tune at purchase. Bought at ford dealer gold certified - if that matters. Maybe they didnt clear out the gremlins before stamping and selling?

Noticeable difference is off the line.
Echoing turbo lag when I put an oversized turbo on my Cummins before doing compounds.

Either way, didn’t know if there was something top of mind. Dropping at dealer Sunday night. Will report back.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man I'm confused. It pulls the same if not better? Yet the thread is titled 'Power Loss After Cam Phaser Repair'? Is it me? Am I being dumb?

OP
OP
D

DBL7DS

Reaction score
OK good, it's just me being dumb :p I mean, if that is the case @FordTechOne might be right, the truck could have been tuned before the phaser replacement and the dealer overwrote programming.
Nah, I’ve got adhd so b/t autocorrect, cutting/pasting and fat *********….Im lucky to make sense of it.
I should have just put LOWEND POWERBAND SUCKS AFTER PHASER JOB.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2. Proven member or not - the reply had an ick of posting something just to be relevant.
Now if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black. Yr mad about an animated gif. Don't take me so seriously.

Only empirical data that convinced me was when I left the car wash and didnt have to feather the throttle onto a 45mph road to avoid tires slipping.
This is my point exactly - thread title is spoken as truth when in fact its based on aggressive on ramp merges and no data at all. We get 5 cam phaser threads a week bring some receipts and maybe the grand master @FordTechOne will throw some of his magic your way…