New 2023 Raptor IWE problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just bought a brand new 2023 F150 Raptor. Less than 400 miles in, I get the "Drive Modes Unavailable" error and am stuck in 2WD "Normal" mode. Bottom line = faulty IWE from factory. Interesting part is that I never heard the stereotypical front end grinding noise or partial engagement of hub(s) that is associated with loss of vacuum due to faulty solenoid, hoses, check valves or actuator. Wondering if valves can get stuck in the open position, leaving the vacuum "on" and disengaging the hub. Seems weird b/c you would think the vent would ultimately relieve the pressure and allow engagement of front hubs ready for 4WD modes. Anyway, I'm posting this bc the absence of grinding noises was definitely atypical compared to all the IWE vacuum-based problems I've seen on the internet where partial engagement was the culprit. Also, it's a shame that the IWE was faulty from the factory given what I paid for this beast.
IWE went to an electric actuator for 2021+. So all it would take is an out of spec motor resistance reading to set a DTC. You won’t have partial engagement or grinding issues when a DTC sets.

OP
OP
Migs

Migs

Reaction score
I think OP posted this as a PSA in regards to the IWE partial engagement without the usual associated noises as a heads up to other owners.
Yes - thank you! I had no other motivation other to share my experience. Dealership fixed it. Regarding comments about 2023 have an electronic - yes that is true BUT it is still vacuum based. "Higher up, the Raptor uses the new, regular F-150’s electrically actuated, vacuum-operated Electric Integrated Wheel End (EIWE) to lock and unlock the front hubs as you switch in and out of four-wheel drive. These differ from the older IWE design, in that the electric actuation happens here at the hub using a control wire (red) that’s just below the vacuum line."