2020 Raptor low speed grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmcpolo

Reaction score
New owner of a used 2020 Raptor. It is gold certified so I do have a warranty but wanted to get some opinions before I visit the dealer on Tuesday.

First heard a grinding noise a few days after I took delivery. Happened at low speeds not long after I left my driveway but also heard it at low speeds after a 50 mile trip. Noise stops when putting truck in 4A mode. I did hear a faint grinding yesterday after putting it in 4A so I switched back to 2H and back to 4A and the noise went away. Based on everything I have read on this forum, it sounds like a textbook IWE issue.

I checked under the hood and I have the new blue tipped check value already. Someone on this forum mentioned that with a bad check valve, air should pass through in both directions. I unhooked the check valve and when I pulled the solenoid side off, I heard a whoosh of air. So, the valve appears to be maintaining a vacuum. Is it possible that this newer value is bad even though it appears to holding a vacuum? Truck had sat for a couple when I unhooked the check valve and heard the whoosh of air.

I was going to replace the check valve tomorrow and drive around before I go to the dealer on Tuesday. But, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the blue check valves going bad and any thoughts on the air whoosh I heard.

Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF. Pictures, or it’s a prius.

The check valve is the most common and easy to replace part of the IWE system, but it’s not the only part that can fail. Any of the vacuum hoses could fail or parts further down the circuit. Also, if the failure has been there long enough it’s possible to damage the IWE’s themselves ( I am not correctly referring to the part name here ), but if they’re allowed to partially engage for a long enough time it will damage the internal parts at the wheel(s).

Go ahead with the solenoid change, retest and post results with your Raptor picture(s).
Hopefully, it’s just a simple failed solenoid. If not, rock 4a until you get it fixed.

CarlosnVegas

Reaction score
Common for the hoses to crack, tear, pinhole or come off. Twice on my Gen 1 from off-roading and engine work. Cheap fix. Have your mechanic smoke the lines. Viola. $5. Hardly ever any other part. Dead give away is when you engage 4wheel drive, noise goes away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter