Might need to buy a trailer for work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK OK I know and I say this that Raptors aren't made for towing. I honestly never thought I'd be towing a travel trailer with my 19 Raptor, but I just might have to do that. So I am an apprentice Lineman in the Houston area. Work is slow out here so my program is sending me out to Pecos, West Texas for at least 4 months.

I'll be getting per diem to help cover hotels and whatnot, I currently rent a room from another apprentice buddy who owns a house here in Conroe.

I'll be paying him rent even though I'll be out of town mostly for at least the next 4 months or longer. It might make financial sense to get a travel trailer in the near future.

I have the Icon rxt leaf setup on option #2 right now but will add the 3rd leaf and I have the bump stop kit on also.

Our 19 Raptors are rated for 8000lbs towing and I figured with the upgraded leafs I can afford more tongue weight than a stock Raptor?

So can my truck tow 8k right now? I hate to tow with it but I don't want to sell it and get a super duty either.

What say ye?

Terry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends. Buying a trailer for a short period is probably going to be considerably more expensive than staying in a motel. You have the price of the trailer, hitch and other incidentals as well as camp ground fees. If you keep the trailer when it's no longer needed, you'll need a place to store it. You could sell it, but you'll have a considerable loss because trailers lose value like a new car just driven off the new car lot. If you do decide to buy, I'd keep it close to the 8K limit. The truck may not handle well with an oversize trailer behind it. We've probably all seen people pulling trailers down the road that were just barely under control and you probably don't want to be in that position.