Tow capacity of a 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cybot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I looked for a thread for this but couldn't find one.

I'm a new Raptor owner and I just bought a 2020 F150 Raptor and I am about to start my grand tour of North America. So, I am now looking to buy a travel trailer. I have a supercrew cab and I have found so many different numbers about how much I can tow. A buddy of mine, who camps a lot with his Chevy, gave a calculation of around 6583lbs which includes 1000lbs of cargo. However, I have seen on a lot of sites that the capacity is more like 8k (w/o cargo which would come to about 7k w/), so which is correct? As far as I know, the truck is stock (at least I think it is, because I heard that Raptor automatically comes with Fox shocks). So which, if any, is right? Thanks for the help in advance.

Rob

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it’s 8 including cargo. Read your manual to be sure.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
A ton of towing threads on here. Look at your owners manual. Check the Ford website. Raptor has less towing capacity that a standard F150.

DAVfoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow rating is 8000 pounds, so I would take whatever the tongue weight is, say 500 or 600 and deduct that from the Payload of the truck and that's how much you can carry in the cab with you. That's the best way to really calculate it. Also it's best to use a WDH above 6k trailer weight. I would try to go with a 4-5k lb trailer dry weight which will give you some room for black/grey/potable water weight and gear inside. Then you won't have to worry about loading up the truck as much except for truck gear and family.

I'm looking at getting a small 18-22 foot offroad trailer that weighs about 5500 pounds for my truck at some point. If you upgrade the leaf springs in the rear that could help alleviate any safety concerns you have but I'd still keep to the factory tow rating even though this engine could pull more than 8k all day.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I looked for a thread for this but couldn't find one.

I'm a new Raptor owner and I just bought a 2020 F150 Raptor and I am about to start my grand tour of North America. So, I am now looking to buy a travel trailer. I have a supercrew cab and I have found so many different numbers about how much I can tow. A buddy of mine, who camps a lot with his Chevy, gave a calculation of around 6583lbs which includes 1000lbs of cargo. However, I have seen on a lot of sites that the capacity is more like 8k (w/o cargo which would come to about 7k w/), so which is correct? As far as I know, the truck is stock (at least I think it is, because I heard that Raptor automatically comes with Fox shocks). So which, if any, is right? Thanks for the help in advance.

Rob
Not even close. GVWR of the Raptor is around 1200 pounds including driver, passengers, luggage, and tongue weight of the trailer. If you don't have the moonroof. Check the sticker on your doorjamb. That sticker also has maximum load for each axle. You should be aware that trailer tongue weight transfers weight off the front axle and onto the rear because of the lever arm aft of the rear axle. Not having enough tongue weight will make your trailer unstable, potentially flipping over and taking your truck with it. Figure an absolute minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue.

All of the specs interact. The 8000 pound maximum trailer weight assumes a weight-distributing hitch, which puts 800 pounds minimum onto the truck. You now have 300-400 pounds for passengers and luggage. People joke about the Raptor being a "four guys and a cooler full of beer" truck, but it's not a joke.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not even close. GVWR of the Raptor is around 1200 pounds including driver, passengers, luggage, and tongue weight of the trailer. If you don't have the moonroof. Check the sticker on your doorjamb. That sticker also has maximum load for each axle. You should be aware that trailer tongue weight transfers weight off the front axle and onto the rear because of the lever arm aft of the rear axle. Not having enough tongue weight will make your trailer unstable, potentially flipping over and taking your truck with it. Figure an absolute minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue.

All of the specs interact. The 8000 pound maximum trailer weight assumes a weight-distributing hitch, which puts 800 pounds minimum onto the truck. You now have 300-400 pounds for passengers and luggage. People joke about the Raptor being a "four guys and a cooler full of beer" truck, but it's not a joke.
GVWR is not payload. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is vehicle weight along with all the passengers and cargo. The sticker on my door says my payload is 1076 lbs (I do not have a sun roof).

1076 aint much considering 5 200lbs adults and an cooler and you are there. 3 200lbs adults and a trailer with 500lbs tounge weight and you are slightly over. Again, the Raptor excels at one thing and one thing only, other wise it is a pretty ****** "truck" over all.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GVWR is not payload. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, which is vehicle weight along with all the passengers and cargo. The sticker on my door says my payload is 1076 lbs (I do not have a sun roof).

You're right. Good catch. Got ahead of myself.

1076 aint much considering 5 200lbs adults and an cooler and you are there. 3 200lbs adults and a trailer with 500lbs tounge weight and you are slightly over. Again, the Raptor excels at one thing and one thing only, other wise it is a pretty ****** "truck" over all.

People get confused because it looks like a truck and it's called an F-150. It's not a truck. It's a toy. A very fun toy, but it's nearly worthless for towing or hauling.

OP
OP
Cybot

Cybot

Reaction score
I knew it was different from a standard f150, I was hoping for around 66-67 hundred. I'm going to be living in the trailer, I it'll be just me and I new traveling companion, a english mastiff. Is there any way to bring that number up? My door and hitch stickers are attached.

Attachments

• 20230818_124731.jpg
    20230818_124731.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230821_113229.jpg
    20230821_113229.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 22

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I knew it was different from a standard f150, I was hoping for around 66-67 hundred. I'm going to be living in the trailer, I it'll be just me and I new traveling companion, a english mastiff. Is there any way to bring that number up? My door and hitch stickers are attached.
Put everything but you and the dog in the trailer. Get a good weight distributing hitch. You can do it, but you need to be a little careful.

OP
OP
Cybot

Cybot

Reaction score
My buddy also said I might another leave spring, so I don't get the squats. I assume that would be a good idea, so just checking.