Mid Perch Mod - Need Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joekai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was stuck on the damn fox sticker they had on the shock body. The collar caught the edge of it and was pushing and binding the decal. Look around the whole collar and see if the clear portion is bunching up against the blue collar.

I just gave it some serious love from many angles and it moved little bits at a time as it pushed the decal up then I nipped off the ruined part with a razor when it was done so it's only missing what the collar would cover anyway.

I stress the word love. Watch your knuckles

I had same issue. Peel the sticker and I bet it moves.

Let us know if you get it worked out

2008fx4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the major causes i think is the difference of metal of the shock body and spring perch/collar and the snap ring that goes in the groove to determine which perch the coil over is set at. if you look at the op's pics you can clearly see the ring of rust directly below where that retaining/snap ring is.

maybe:

Aluminum Jelly, Aluminum Polish, Aluminum Brightener, Aluminum Cleaner from Loctite Adhesives

another option would be a small amount of heat - either with a heat gun or a delicate application of a torch combined with pb blaster to help draw the penetrant into any nook and cranny it can get into. then let it cool. could possibly use those small cans of compressed air sprayed while being held upside down to help rapidly cool the aluminum shock body near the spring collar. repeat these steps to achieve desired results.

more than anything its just going to take time and patience.

Last edited:

ktm505sx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use silicone spray once 2 weeks to avoid any type of corrosion as seen on my father's raptor when i did mid perch on his truck
You can use wd40 as well

OP
OP
P

pjaus2002

Reaction score
Tried many of the recommendations that you guys posted so thanks for the input, despite this I was still unable to get it to come free without taking it completely off (not sure how to do that anyhow) . Ended up taking it to the Ford shop and had them give it a try without any luck. Called Fox who suggested what nobussa recommended, taking a pipe with the proper diameter and placing the whole shock into it up to the collar and tap on it that way. Relayed that info to the dealer so they soaked it for 3 hrs in a solution and were able to get it to come free by placing it in the pipe and hitting it with equal pressure. Finally mid perch! Thanks again for all of the help.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried liquid wrench and soaking it in that spray I always use it for stuck nuts and bolts and use a rubber ballet to hit it