MB TKO - Should I go 18" or 20"??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gofastrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheels, wheels wheels....

We used to make fun of anybody who went with bigger than 15 in wheels....

Anyway, your tire options are better on 18" rims vs 20 and up. I went with 20 because I got a great deal on the whole package with 37 toyo MT's mounted balanced and with TPMS sensors included ( not taking them off the factory wheels, but new TPMS sensors in the deal. )

I would not go larger than 20" wheels because you run into issues with who can mount new tires on larger rims. Not every palce can handle 22" rims.

I was looking for 18" rims and 35's when I came across my deal.

Picture below shows diff between my 20 in wheel and factory 18 in wheel. 37's vs stock.

Thanks Rob

Attachments

• New tires.jpg
    New tires.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 268
  • New Truck.jpg
    New Truck.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Raptor on 37s.jpg
    Raptor on 37s.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 390

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a give and take on 20 inch versus 18 inch wheels. 18 will tend to ride a little better have more give than a 20. When off roading with 18 inch wheels you have to watch more closely so you dont pop a bead when you air down for serious off road areas. 20 inch are superior in towing and driving corners because there is less side wall then less flex gives better control. When off roading you get less sidewall so less flex again means your not as likely to pop off the bead. There is a give and take so you have to ask what you want to do with your tires...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know for sure I'm going with the MB TKO wheels in black, but can't decide if I want to go with 18" or 20"... I've seen Raptor Retrofit's in 18", but curious if anyone has pictures with 20" wheels?

Do 20's ride that much worse than the 18's? Other than the looks, that's my major concern.

Here's how you can answer your question - by answering these questions:

1. Do you let dirt get on your Raptor? Yes No

2. Do you wash your Raptor as soon as you see dirt on it? Yes No

3. Do you shiver at the thought of taking your Raptor off road? Yes No

4. Do you even have any dirt roads near where you live? Yes No

5. What size wheels do you have on your Raptor?

A. Stock 17" wheels
B. 18" wheels
C. 20" wheels
D. Fuggedaboudit (larger than 20" wheels)

6. Do you know why off road vehicles usually have smaller wheels than on road vehicles?

7. Have you ever taken your Raptor off road? Yes No

8. If you took it off road, did you feel guilty about it? Yes No

Bonus question:

On what surface did the Ford Raptor designers and engineers drive the first Raptors?

p5vtav0mok.gif

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
haha! That's awesome! But definitely no street queen, I'll haul crap in it and if given the opportunity it'll go off road... Just really limited to mud holes around here, no fun places where it'd shine. I pay $15/month for unlimited car washes at the place down the road from where I work so I get my monies worth it's usually clean.

My main concern is ride when it comes down to it. Is the ride difference very minor or major, like I'd be pissed I lost so much ride quality if I did the 20's?

Banned
Reaction score
18's

no question. hell, I say go as small as physically possible. which is probably 17's

OP
OP
infinitereality

infinitereality

SLC IR/8
Reaction score
Well...... I ordered the MB TKO in 20 with 35x12.50 Cooper Discoverer Radial STT TEK3 tires, hope to see them by the weekend... I thought it was my best option for here in Louisiana with the mud and more so for the stiffer sidewall in the corners... Let the flaming start!!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You made the right choice for your needs. If you're ever even thinking about getting bigger wheels/speakers/whatever always do it. It will cost you more to upgrade in the long run ha!