Should I buy a 2012 Raptor 6.2L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

picklearmy

Reaction score
For the year and location, rust looked better than I expected.
But I have to agree with most others here.
I have an '11 and REALLY like it a LOT, but short drive to work and no winter driving with it.
I have other vehicles, wife has her's, kids have their's.
My position is different so I would do something else like posted earlier.
Good luck
Happy shopping
you think if i bought it as a project vehicle instead it wouldn't be a terrible idea?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you think if i bought it as a project vehicle instead it wouldn't be a terrible idea?
If you financed it as a project vehicle, then you have the liability of making payments without the asset of having a daily driver. The best analogy is having a hot stripper as a girlfriend who doesn't want to fu ck. This never ends well. (I've been told).

OP
OP
P

picklearmy

Reaction score
If you financed it as a project vehicle, then you have the liability of making payments without the asset of having a daily driver. The best analogy is having a hot stripper as a girlfriend who doesn't want to fu ck. This never ends well. (I've been told).
haha well thats one way to put it, ill stay away from that option then. thanks!

raptorsrule

Reaction score
Dude, the rust on this thing is gonna require some serious clean up and it’ll keep getting worse and worse as time goes buy.

Either offer the seller 50% the asking price and prepare for a big clean up project or pass on this rig.

Just my 2 cents as someone who purchased a 2014 Raptor with some rust problems that aren’t nearly as bad as what you showed in the pics.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These trucks aren’t cheap to own or fix. As much as you’d like to grab one, get yourself financially set before diving in on something like this. My 19yoa son took my 2012 to school with him and reality set in for the gas fill ups alone. Before he left, I had new tires and brakes installed. Made sure he saw the bill and told him the next set of ‘shoes’ and brakes are on him.

OP
OP
P

picklearmy

Reaction score
Dude, the rust on this thing is gonna require some serious clean up and it’ll keep getting worse and worse as time goes buy.

Either offer the seller 50% the asking price and prepare for a big clean up project or pass on this rig.

Just my 2 cents as someone who purchased a 2014 Raptor with some rust problems that aren’t nearly as bad as what you showed in the pics.
good to know thanks, i wasn't too sure about the rust either but i'll take your word for it. probably wont buy this one

OP
OP
P

picklearmy

Reaction score
These trucks aren’t cheap to own or fix. As much as you’d like to grab one, get yourself financially set before diving in on something like this. My 19yoa son took my 2012 to school with him and reality set in for the gas fill ups alone. Before he left, I had new tires and brakes installed. Made sure he saw the bill and told him the next set of ‘shoes’ and brakes are on him.
yea i could probably handle those things, its something like the engine or tranny failing, that's something i couldn't fix at all and it would just be sitting dead. as much as i want this truck i probably wont get it. maybe if it wasn't in the condition its in id take the risk and get it, but from what everyones said on here i don't think its a good idea

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new driver looking to buy a truck because they are much more practical for me over cars, and while looking through marketplace I found a 1st gen 2012 Raptor for $17,500 CAD (roughly $13,000 USD.) To me, since I'm not entirely sure what to look for, it seems like a decent truck for a decent price. Any 2wd, 4 door 2012+ trucks near me are selling for roughly the same price. The only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is the mileage, its sitting at 355,000kms (roughly 217,500 miles.) The body of the truck looks like its in mint condition, but the interior could use some work and the frame is a bit rusted but from what I can tell on the pictures its not that huge of a deal. It seems to me like it was a work truck. Another problem is that I live about 3.5 hours away from where it is, so if I drove there and found out there's something wrong with it, I just wasted 7 hours.

Money is also a little tight for me at the moment so I'd probably end up putting myself in a little bit of a hole but nothing too desperate, the person who owns it offered me to pay a downpayment and pay over time instead but I'm not entirely sure if thats trustworthy? An insurance quote estimated it would be around $400.17 a month (somewhat new driver and Canadian insurance is a robbery.) So what I'm thinking is, if the person who owns it can get it safetied there, and if it passes, I buy the truck and pay over time. It honestly seems like a good deal to me but I'm just a little suspicious that something may be wrong with it considering the price and the mileage. I sent the pictures to two friends of mine who are mechanics and said it looks good, the rust can likely be worked on and they're only concerned about the mileage.

What do you guys think? I do like working on vehicles with a group of my friends so it could be a fun project, or possibly a complete waste of time and money! The link at the bottom is to the pictures of the truck if anyone wants to take a look and help me out. Cheers everyone.

2012 Blue Raptor - ImgBB
Hang on n00b, I’ll get to you in a few sentences.

Low quality thread.
200.gif

For forgetting we were all n00bs once, who wanted a cool ride, one we could have some fun with, not just a cheap áss, beat up h*nda civic with a fart can.
None of us here NEED a Raptor. We want them.

Let’s remember where we came from.
It's cheap but as usually you have what for you pay ...This truck will ruin you , except if you have enough money to restore it, bcs yes , the key word is "complete restoration"

@julien194b is speaking the truth and the rest of the posters are telling you what you don’t want to hear. I wish I had good friends telling me what they are telling you now, back when I was a stinking 16 year old punk with cash. Permit me to tell story.

when I was in my teens, my older brothers fùcked things all up for me. First with the dirt bike, then multiple muscle cars - 68 charger, 73 Mach 1, multiple Mercury Cougars, 2x 69’s, 1 x 70, and I was insanely jealous. I had money that I earned by the time I was 16 and landed myself a really, really, really nice blue 1970 cougar, 351c. I should not have bought that car, even though it was the bees knees. This thing was original in 1985! Right down to the AM radio, was well optioned PS, PB and front discs !

I ****** it up. First, I hydroplaned it and managed not to to screw up too bad - I don’t think there were any impacts, just spun like mad in what wasn’t THAT bad of a rainfall. Once I’d regained my confidence a few weeks later I took it out and was impressing one of my friends and wrecked it good. Really good. I was damn lucky we didn’t get hurt.

So, I had to scrounge and save more over the next couple of years and I landed a 1970 Olds 442, 455xTH400. I shouldn’t have bought this car either, but I wanted it. L/F fender was a goner / replacement, and the car was showing her age outside, and just a little inside, but she was mechanically sound. -ish. She got me through high school and my first job as an adult.
Then, hot dogging with my friends I grooved the crank pretty awesomely. That hurt financially, quite a bit. It’s not like i could work from home at the time.
I was able to score a series a cheap, beater cars as I slowly repaired the damage. As I did not know what I was doing, I tried to do it on the cheap and failed, ******** up one thing after another - all small things, but they kept adding up.
I got the short block rebuilt, had the heads port matched, and then ran into a set of w30 heads so worked up those. Got her put together and low oil pressure! bad ring install. Back apart she came and I picked up another short block to work on. I managed to get the short block done right, back together, was working on getting her set up - busted a motor mount revving the engine. Replaced that, but when the motor mount went, I broke the bottom out of the radiator shroud. By now, i was growing weary of this project. I whacked the lower out of the shroud and go figure, she would run hot everywhere. ugh. Then, after getting my brand new shroud, installing, I revved it again did the same. fùcking. thing.
oops. About this time I remembered, I’d procured a radiator from a later model olds 98, the highest capacity olds rad. you could easily score and the shroud didn’t exactly line up. I fixed this, measured, and got past it. Got her on the road and holy moly that car launched HARD. Take offs were impossible on street tires, but from a rolling start where traction wasn’t such and issue it was a feeling to behold. Right up until I trashed the bone stock, probably OEM 175k mile TH400. :-( This one really hurt because I’d put so much of my money into the motor and zero into the rest of the car. So the car and project got shelved because I was out of discretionary money and I had burned through 3 beater cars. My mother convinced me to go for a new vehicle, so I settled on an S10 4x4 (yeah, I know). But heck, it got me into off roading. Unfortunately, this and the OUTRAGEOUS full coverage insurance costs absorbed about 85% of my discretionary money. I never got the project finished - I got the TH400 rebuilt, reassembled but at that point I needed money and found a buyer for her and my other Olds parts.

I could have saved a solid $5k in 1980’s money, by going with a beater F150 pickup 4x4, that I still could have had some fun with.

All this is to say, listen to what others are telling you here. A project Raptor that you’re going to have to almost immediately spend a bunch of money on is going to set you back years financially. Get a regular F150 4x4. less expensive, more ubiquitous and therefore more parts availability, no “Raptor tax” on parts, and it’s a solid truck. Save your pennies or whatever small currency you Canadians use, eh. Keep your eyes peeled for the right one. You’ll know when it’s time and when the $$$ situation is right.

Learn from our mistakes.