MT's vs AT's, 17's, 18's vs 20's discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, would like to hear your feedback on running MT's vs AT tires, as well as going Plus 1, 2 and 3 on wheel diameter? I know going to 20's is sacrilege for most hardcore desert Raptor runners, but my truck isn't seeing much dirt. Yes I will take it off-road a few times a year. My past few sets of tires on previous 4x4 trucks have been 10 ply load E Toyo MT's, and absolutely love them in mud and snow. Heck, love em on the street too! Mainly truck is used to tow a 5,000-ish lb bass boat.

Main reason I'm asking is I've got an almost new set of 35-12.50x20 E load range Toyo MT's I can take of my old truck and put on the Raptor. I'd keep my 17" OEM beadlocks and maybe set them up with AT's? I really don't like AT's and have gotten stuck several times with them. Considering the Maaxis, Mickey T's MT's or Pro Comp (E) too? Just thinkin'...

Thoughts and feedback? I'd like to hear from peeps that have run 18's or 20's offroad in particular. Plus the load range issue. I've hated C rated tires towing and these E's work awesome in tow. Is it cool to run the 20" E's for street and towing?

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I know, and I was reading other's posts about it, but really wanted to hear from some others running E rated 20's....
The consensus is everyone hates E rated AND 20's so

BUT I had E rated 20's on my duramax and it never gave me an issue towing. They were Patriot M/T's. Cheapest tire ive ever bought, and easily the best.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The consensus is everyone hates E rated AND 20's so

BUT I had E rated 20's on my duramax and it never gave me an issue towing. They were Patriot M/T's. Cheapest tire ive ever bought, and easily the best.
That's an incredibly cheap tire! Good to know. I'm guessing you got the Patriot R/T Rugged-Terrain tire, looks like an M/T? Did you have any problems? I've bought cheap Cooper passenger tires and I was fixing flats all the time. They looked good and worked ok, but then when I bought good tires I never got flats. Flexing the carcasses the cheap tires reveals they're generally thinner and flimsier than quality brands, so now for performance applications I avoid those cut price donuts, but 10 ply is 10 ply....

What did you like about them, and how long did they last? They look aggressive. Were they loud once the tread got low?

Yea I see what you mean, you talk about E 20's here and it's crickets :( :D!! I'm surprised more off-road guys don't run mud style tires with open lug patterns. I do way better wheeling with em, and I know, an aired down closed AT tread supposedly 'floats' in sand better, but MT's make more sense for everything else, don't they? For me they have. They work better in snow and dry dirt, they don't trap small stones and fling em off later in a hailstorm of gravel pings....

Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I had 20" 37 E rated Baja Bosses. Raptor Gods had it in for me and forced me back into the 17s with Wildpeaks. 20s are ok but like having more sidewall while off road. Prefer the Mickeys over the Wildpeak. Both are A/T. Although the Wildpeak worked nice in the compact snow and ice.

I am happier with the 17s over the 20s.