MT's vs AT's, 17's, 18's vs 20's discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
That's an incredibly cheap tire! Good to know. I'm guessing you got the Patriot R/T Rugged-Terrain tire, looks like an M/T? Did you have any problems? I've bought cheap Cooper passenger tires and I was fixing flats all the time. They looked good and worked ok, but then when I bought good tires I never got flats. Flexing the carcasses the cheap tires reveals they're generally thinner and flimsier than quality brands, so now for performance applications I avoid those cut price donuts, but 10 ply is 10 ply....

What did you like about them, and how long did they last? They look aggressive. Were they loud once the tread got low?

Yea I see what you mean, you talk about E 20's here and it's crickets :( :D!! I'm surprised more off-road guys don't run mud style tires with open lug patterns. I do way better wheeling with em, and I know, an aired down closed AT tread supposedly 'floats' in sand better, but MT's make more sense for everything else, don't they? For me they have. They work better in snow and dry dirt, they don't trap small stones and fling em off later in a hailstorm of gravel pings....
Yea they were R/T. You can get them more available as the Radar Renegade R/T. Same exact tire.

They took some abuse as i never rotated them and towed alot. I sold the truck after putting 30k on the tires and they still had a nice even wear. They were loud from the beginning though.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E Rated makes a Raptor feel like it’s no longer a Raptor.

I would consider 18’s if someone made a C or D rated tire.
This right here is the comment that hits home! What I love about my Screw is it's bouncy, aggressive, and soaks up hits like nuthin'. If 20" E-rated tires take anything away from that, then screw them! I'll stay with 17's and look for good D's! Thanks ToadSmasher!

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
This right here is the comment that hits home! What I love about my Screw is it's bouncy, aggressive, and soaks up hits like nuthin'. If 20" E-rated tires take anything away from that, then screw them! I'll stay with 17's and look for good D's! Thanks ToadSmasher!
you will 100% regret running E's and 20's lol

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always look for good D's

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nex got high centered in the starbucks parking lot on 20's or so the story goes, but thats a Gen Too anyways

I just got rid of s set of Atturo trail blade m/t in favor of KO2's in the 37x13.5x20 variety.
Hey Murder, tell us what you like and dislike about the KO2's? Have you compared them to the KM3's? I like a little more open tread design. And yes, oh the eternal search for good D's ;)!!! Good life advice!

Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only Es ill take are the cooper xlt at3s. They dont ride like wagon wheels and are close to the C k02s i had.

Actual Es, even for 17s ride like actual shit, even lowered to 30psi.

20s have less rubber and will ride like shit compared to 17s, also its just...wrong.

18s are a weird middle ground unless you find a good deal or more options.
Hey Murder, tell us what you like and dislike about the KO2's? Have you compared them to the KM3's? I like a little more open tread design. And yes, oh the eternal search for good D's :-D !!! Good life advice!
have not tried the km3, but the k02s ive had are terrible in the rain, but a jack of all trades type tire. They get really loud when its time to change them and they usually wear down the middle fast, even with lower pressures.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I am currently running - Armstrong Desert Dog Mt - Lt37x12.50r20

I previously had Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - Lt37x12.50r20

I would absolutely buy either tire again.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only Es ill take are the cooper xlt at3s. They dont ride like wagon wheels and are close to the C k02s i had.

Actual Es, even for 17s ride like actual shit, even lowered to 30psi.

20s have less rubber and will ride like shit compared to 17s, also its just...wrong.

18s are a weird middle ground unless you find a good deal or more options.

have not tried the km3, but the k02s ive had are terrible in the rain, but a jack of all trades type tire. They get really loud when its time to change them and they usually wear down the middle fast, even with lower pressures.
Thanks Space Ghost. I concur that the KO2's are bad in the wet, well, with low tread anyways. My tires now are 35x12.50R17 BFG KO2's, but they're nearly worn out, due for replacement. Wouldn't you know it, they're E rated too, but not hard riding at all....

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently running - Armstrong Desert Dog Mt - Lt37x12.50r20

I previously had Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - Lt37x12.50r20

I would absolutely buy either tire again.
There's someone running 20's!! Bozz would you ever run a 35"x12.50r20? What benefits and drawbacks have come from running 20's and how long have you run them?