Lost oil pressure time to find out why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sub'd because i am a huge fan of the 3.5tt (and livernois), just not the horrid sound the v6 makes.

OP
OP
Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Word on the street is that the crankshaft can’t handle more than 650-700bhp.

Thermal breakdown of lubrication due to excessive heat, excessive heat leading to metal expansion beyond safe limits, inadequate lubrication for all of the above.

Too much rotational force...

From what I’ve heard... and I’m not an expert like my man from Livernois.... is that the cure is a built crankshaft with stronger bearings and improved oiling.

In other words... to get these things up over 550 wheel horsepower you’re talking about an engine tear down and rebuild as a race engine essentially... to maintain reliability.

— Big Bucks

I don’t think our man is going to find a flaw in the engine or the block that is unique just to this engine.

All speculation until Livernois weighs in!

If you want 600 ponies at the wheels...

I hear another manufacturer is working on a certain 6.2L supercharged version of an off-road truck.

Blasphemy I know! Lol

Guy I do like your speculation and analysis. It may very well be true we know the bearing clearances are super tight on these engines. We did find something in the oil pan design which is uncharecteristic to an engine of this caliber going into a vehicle of this nature. I can't say as this is the primary or main cause of this. We are still gathering info on this and will post our finding/findings of what is going on and why this happened.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Guy I do like your speculation and analysis. It may very well be true we know the bearing clearances are super tight on these engines. We did find something in the oil pan design which is uncharecteristic to an engine of this caliber going into a vehicle of this nature. I can't say as this is the primary or main cause of this. We are still gathering info on this and will post our finding/findings of what is going on and why this happened.

Interesting. If that does turn out to be the culprit, it would be great if someone would make an aftermarket aluminum pan with extra capacity and fittings for mechanical pressure and temperature sensors.

:hmm:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the crap oil pan failed....

I would think it’s because the engine failed and it decompensated.

Not that the oil pan blew out and the engine lost pressure and failed.

Chicken or the egg I guess.

Interesting. If that does turn out to be the culprit, it would be great if someone would make an aftermarket aluminum pan with extra capacity and fittings for mechanical pressure and temperature sensors.

:hmm:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the crap oil pan failed....

I would think it’s because the engine failed and it decompensated.

Not that the oil pan blew out and the engine lost pressure and failed.

Chicken or the egg I guess.

I took this...

We did find something in the oil pan design which is uncharecteristic to an engine of this caliber going into a vehicle of this nature.

...to potentially mean that there is a flaw in the design of the oil pan that either interfered with proper oiling of the mains or that perhaps allowed the engine to starve for oil (either because of a poorly designed or located pick up).

But I don't know shit about shit so don't listen to me.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this why the Ford GT has dry sump oil system with 15 qt capacity? Dry Sump systems feed consistent oil pressure to the engine.

No. Most dry sump systems in sports cars are part of design ment mainly to eliminate the height associated with an oil pan allowing for the engine to be mounted lower in the chassis.