Keeps breaking!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck it at the dealership right now because the steering rack completely shelled last night. That was the first time I had ever done any 4wd necessary wheeling. I climbed 1 hill about the length of the truck and ended up getting high centered. I tried to turn the wheels to one side ( not even full lock) and something popped and both tires were now pointed out. I had to call a wrecker to come tow it to the stealership. No aftermarket tie rods or 3.0's or anything so I'm hoping they don't throw a BF and warranty will cover it. It was like the internals of the steering rack were in the driver side boot. There was definitely more in there than normal.

OP
OP
Netix

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Yup i have had 2 broken racks one of them the shell casing was cracked completely. None were granted by warranty due to customer abuse

Jackemuphigh21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah and no upgrades of any kind yet. Mine pissed me off because it broke so damn easy. I'm not saying dodge is superior truck or anything (I absolutely love my Raptor), but I will say I abused the absolute dog shit out of a couple of my dodges in the mud before and the worst thing that ever happened was a CV joint on the front drive shaft went out on one of them. It just seemed like such an easy break that it was almost laughable, but in no way really was. A nice durable aftermarket upgrade would be really nice to be an option at this point.

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck it at the dealership right now because the steering rack completely shelled last night. That was the first time I had ever done any 4wd necessary wheeling. I climbed 1 hill about the length of the truck and ended up getting high centered. I tried to turn the wheels to one side ( not even full lock) and something popped and both tires were now pointed out. I had to call a wrecker to come tow it to the stealership. No aftermarket tie rods or 3.0's or anything so I'm hoping they don't throw a BF and warranty will cover it. It was like the internals of the steering rack were in the driver side boot. There was definitely more in there than normal.

I am no expert, but I would guess that the Tie-rod busted at the Clevis end. Thing is about the thickness of a kindergarten pencil. Good reason to go aftermarket.

The rack is a weak link too, due to the long throw, but that is also the plus of a fairly tight turning radius, so I think the trade off is good.

I also had a rack failure, or at least in the process of failing, local dealer said no warranty, ended up driving 80 miles to an understanding dealer that replaced under warranty.

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if enough of us approach Flaming River, maybe they would build a rack for the Raptor????:evil27:

What racks are some of the luxury pre-runners using?

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the theres lots of weak ends on a raptor

In relation to what? I recently did 3 days in Death Valley through every type of terrains sans mud you can think of, only problem was pinhole leak in one cv boot. These trucks are amazingly tough for what many of us put them through.